Fly Fusion Forums

Name Those Flies Challenge.. Please!

verbatim

Hey Guys,

Well I am a week old fly-fishermen who has taken himself on a crash course to glory. Growing up right next to the Elk River in Elkford, BC, I dont know why I did not pick up a fly rod sooner. I guess in my young age it was considered to much "work", so I stuck with my spin-classic. (Not that I never landed awesome fish).

Anyways I just finished picking up my first batch of flies from Bow River Troutfitters (due to proximity to my house) The sales guy was really nice and answered a bunch of questions for me. I was trying to listen hard... but the following six flies I do not have much idea, I know some in the mix are: Stimulators, Mayflies Caddis? If you could please name these roughly, I then should be able to know what I am using. I know this question is ultra-noob, but I do know how to characterize such flies as the Stone Fly Nymph, Bow Bugger, and Elk Hair Caddis! .. Wow soo impressive... Anyway's here are the flies I am not sure about:

post-2476-1219208542.jpg

post-2476-1219208009.jpg

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

I appreciate all input and answers in advance. Thanks very much!!!!

Cheers,

Dylan S

Hey Guys,

Well I am a week old fly-fishermen who has taken himself on a crash course to glory. Growing up right next to the Elk River in Elkford, BC, I dont know why I did not pick up a fly rod sooner. I guess in my young age it was considered to much "work", so I stuck with my spin-classic. (Not that I never landed awesome fish).

Anyways I just finished picking up my first batch of flies from Bow River Troutfitters (due to proximity to my house) The sales guy was really nice and answered a bunch of questions for me. I was trying to listen hard... but the following six flies I do not have much idea, I know some in the mix are: Stimulators, Mayflies Caddis? If you could please name these roughly, I then should be able to know what I am using. I know this question is ultra-noob, but I do know how to characterize such flies as the Stone Fly Nymph, Bow Bugger, and Elk Hair Caddis! .. Wow soo impressive... Anyway's here are the flies I am not sure about:

post-2476-1219208542.jpg

post-2476-1219208009.jpg

1: parachute adams...imitates adult mayfly

2: an attractor nymph...don't know the exact name

3: don't know the exact name either...an adult may fly in a loop wing parachute style, likely a blue winged olive mayfly if it's quite small. The blue on the loop is just to help you see the fly better on the water...most people use white or orange.

4: bead head hare's ear nymph...meant to imitate mayfly nymphs but very generic pattern.

5: bead head prince nymph, attractor nymph

6: bead head pheasant tale nymph...meant to imitate mayfly nymphs but very generic pattern.

patterns 1, 4, 5, 6 are some of the most popular flies out there...everyone has some of them in their box.

I appreciate all input and answers in advance. Thanks very much!!!!

Cheers,

Dylan S