Fly Fusion Forums

General Fight Time

I know that this question has many variables which will effect the answer but, in general, how long does it take you to net a decent trout? (could be time, runs,...)

I don't want to put any more stress on a fish than needed but i hate to lose a fish. Although with the amounts of times i lose them, you may think that is goal.

The more i think about this, there may not be an answer to this but i am curious to see some of your comments.

For a decent trout, ie >18" I'd say on average from hook set to net I'm about 2 mintues tops. I always try to get them in ASAP. I used to be more hesitant but with 10lb test on and a solid 6wt rod, I've learned to just power them in. Plus my little girly arms get tired if I hold on any longer!

Of course there will be many answers to this question and opinions. But you are right track because the less time spent fighting the fish, the better the rate of recovery and chance it will survive.

IMO depends on how big and if it runs downstream or not. If you can keep it out of the fast current you should be able to land him quickly. Max/Toolman’s clinic they showed us a method that if you give the fish side pressure by turning your rod to the side, it forces the fish to face upstream and may prevent him to run downstream and into the faster current. Bhurt gave me a re-lesson on this last weekend and I was able to watch him in action will success landing some big ones. Average time for a 22" fish was about 2 minutes.

I got a sick feeling to my stomach watching a guy across the river spinning and was catching some fish. It was hard to see exactly the size he caught but must have been at it for a good 10-12 minutes bringing it in.

It's really hard to say without actually timing myself, but I do know a decent net brings them to hand much faster than without. Time kind of stands still for me on anything over 20". Sometimes with a dry on light tippet and a big fish in fast current, it could be a while.

I think it depends on the fish and the situation. Strong currents like we have now add some time to the fight. Some fish also play out differently adding or reducing the time taken to land them. I have fought some that hardly run or jump but simply wont come withing 30 feet of shore for 15 minutes. Others go balistic for 2 or 3 minutes then come right in.

I would say the average fish for me (16 -20 inch) with average flow rates (on the bow) takes me between 2 - 10 minutes depending on the run I get them in.

I think it depends on the fish and the situation. Strong currents like we have now add some time to the fight. Some fish also play out differently adding or reducing the time taken to land them. I have fought some that hardly run or jump but simply wont come withing 30 feet of shore for 15 minutes. Others go balistic for 2 or 3 minutes then come right in.

I would say the average fish for me (16 -20 inch) with average flow rates (on the bow) takes me between 2 - 10 minutes depending on the run I get them in.

Is that real time, or just what it feels like??

2-10 min is an awfull long time for 16-20 fish, but bringing them in could seem like that.

Wow, <2 minutes seems pretty quick for a nice sized fish, although I have never timed it myself. I will have to be more demending next time. I appreciate all the feedback.

I am curious to see how the 'side pressure' thing works, does anyone have any other tricks they use to bring the fish in quicker?

Is that real time, or just what it feels like??

2-10 min is an awfull long time for 16-20 fish, but bringing them in could seem like that.

It feels this long although I have never actually timed one. I defenetly make them work to stay out there and have never, and I do mean never, have injured or killed a fish on the Bow.

to bring in the fish faster try tilting the axis of the rod either to the left or right.

the rod should be closer to a 45* angle from the ground rather than 90.

try it on your friend, have them hold the tippet and pull, then tilt the rod and pull

again trying to keep your pull the same as the first time.

ask your friend which one pulled harder...if done correctly the angle will increase pull

this way you can also work the fish up and down stream and slow down a rambunkshish fish faster

but make sure not to over work him adn revive him well before releasing

I'm with Harps on this one. I bet I rarely spend more than a minute with a fish. 2-3 with a good fish on 5x. It seems like a long time when you are desperate to have that fish to hand.

I will time it next time I am out. I bet we would all be surprised how little time we are actually connected to a fish.