Fly Fusion Forums

Tomorrow Early Morning Fish

Dwalks

So we went out to the elbow yesterday and got there around 7 am fished our way back to Bragg Creek. Neither of us caught a fish or even had a bite and we are both becoming fed up with fly fishing. This is what bugs me I went out last year in about Aug - Oct and just was happy to be on the river, loving the feeling of the river washing past me and looking at the beauty on the banks here in our own city I would go to the same spot just down off deerfoot south of the bridge by the driving range just after the bow bottom turn off. I park at the driving range and walk straight in there. To date I have hooked 10 fish and Caught 1 which is good enough I am happy with that but I have been out a ton of times with nothing and had no action at all. Yesterday changed it from enjoying the beauty to frustration I can enjoy the beauty with out getting up early and putting on all the gear. I would like to have some action while I am out there and i understand that not everytime you go out will there be but I know it isnt that the fish aren't there they just dont like what I am doing.

My Problem Areas:

My water reading is weak?

I dont have the money to drop on another reel and line so I can't have a stinking line and a floating, I am set up with floating line.

I am super happy with my casting I can place it pretty much where ever I want, I just dont know where I should place it?

I have no clue how to nymph. My flying ant has got me the most action.

So someone please help me. I need good to the point advice (please do not suggest books, to the point works alot better for me)

Help me enjoy this what could be a very wonderful sport.

Second year turned back into to a frist timer

Dustan

Don't give up man. Get out with someone who knows or at least thinks they know - someone who can catch fish is a must. I'm not a great caster but I know how to compensate with making sure my drift and presentation are good. I do best at nymphing, always have for some reason. It took me a season to catch my first fish but the next season was like someone turned on a light, I just got it. I taught Birchy all of my bad habits and he's catching fish. One of the first times I took him out he was in a nice hole and nothing. I came over and watched him and told to mend his line and keep a natural drift. He did as I said and BAM! FISH ON! After that he's been catching the fishes. I found in my experience the cast doesn't have to be text book but the drift and presentation does. Just don't give up. Also try a stream that has more to offer, the Elbow doesn't seem to be consistent.

How's the new gear?

Awesome! The waders fit like a glove and the Equinox is everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. The only thing that pisses me off is Cabela's is saying that it doesn't come with the retractors, which it does. It didn't come with any. So I'm pissed at Cabela's but stoked with the pack itself.

Awesome! The waders fit like a glove and the Equinox is everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. The only thing that pisses me off is Cabela's is saying that it doesn't come with the retractors, which it does. It didn't come with any. So I'm pissed at Cabela's but stoked with the pack itself.

Do what I did. I went to Grand & Toy and bought a few office retractors, the ones that u use in with your company id. They actually work better that the one that came with my chest pack.

Do what I did. I went to Grand & Toy and bought a few office retractors, the ones that u use in with your company id. They actually work better that the one that came with my chest pack.

LOL

That's awesome!

I'll be sure to get my next one from there. I actually bought one this morning over at FishTales. Works just great. I have room for one more though.

Pablo? Go to grand and toy, I just tell security at the office that mine broke and get a new one from them and attach it to my vest.

But then again I have been known to be so cheap I could squeeze a nickle till the Beaver farts.

Teck

Pablo? Go to grand and toy, I just tell security at the office that mine broke and get a new one from them and attach it to my vest.

But then again I have been known to be so cheap I could squeeze a nickle till the Beaver farts.

Teck

Hahaha..i tried to do that with the receptionist but she ran out of retractors, so I went to grand and toy. $ 2.00 Each!

When I first started fly fishing things were definitely pretty tough for several months. Luckly I had a friend who used to be a guide that helped me a great deal. Even so it was another year before I was into fish on a regular basis. The bottom line is that it takes time and effort to develop your skills. If you aren't into fish don't keep fishing in the same locations with the same approach. If you can afford it hire a guide for a couple of floats and pick their brain for tips....

Wow, I have been away in Oliver B.C. for a week and this has really takin off. I think I should dust off the old rod and flys and hit up a river somewhere this weekend. I just wanna catch some fish. I will apply the things being said here. Thanks for the get feedback.

• 2 months later...

Wow, what a thread. Great tips although it goes back a few months I wanted to say I appreciate reading the advise and the humor...I caught a dog the other day. Broke my leader and ran after his master with my nymph rig! I was pissed!! I thoroughly enjoyed pulling the flies out of it when I caught up to them.

• 1 month later...
Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i catch those fish all the time in the small creeks that i fish. I am not a big fan of the bow so i just got a 2wt rod and those 4inch fish are great fun. You should see the rod with a 16in rainbow on it, it looks like a horse shoe.