Fly Fusion Forums

First Successful Night Fishing Outing

I had to drop the mother outlaw off at the airport (Seattle to St. John's is the prefect distance for a mother outlaw to be) the other morning at 3:30 so I decided to fish before I went to work instead of climbing back in the sac. So I hit a city pond with rumours of 5-6lb browns for a early morning session, the pond was flat calm at this point with little to no rise forms but I decided to go with a dry fly size 12 EHC aways. I approached the water carefully fishing the water I wanted to stand in first and eased my way out to the edge of the weeds that were on either side on me. After about 20 or so cast I figured I should switch up to a wet fly and made one more cast tight to the reeds on a my left. I stated reeling in my line to change up, when I got about 2 feet on fly line outside my rod tip a nice little brown explodes (I nearly *hit myself)from the water and hammers my heavily waking caddis. 30 to 40 seconds and two attempts at takeoff I have my best brown out on this pond to hand weighting in around 1 1/2-2lbs, this fish was all head definitely a meat eater. I checked to ensure that I didn't *hit myself which I didn't and tried to skate the dry fly to the best on my ability. To make a long story short I had another dozen or so to hand lost a few more and missed that many again. Didn't get any 5-6lbers but the fish were bigger that my normal day time fishing.

Last night was spent at the bench tying up some bigger G&H caddis imitations and a crudely tied mouse which I have named "2 bagger" due to its pure ugliness, but I'll fish it anyway so long no one finds out I did. Can't wait for tonight, I for one am not upset about the short days that approach.

Sorry no pictures as flash lights and camera phones do not capure the moments all that well.