Fly Fusion Forums

Outting With Flyfishing Alberta (dave Jensens Outfit)

Just wanted to drop a quick note on the Central alberta outing and how it went.

Those of you who never hire guides but want to learn more - I highly recommend it.

Not only can they help you with tecnique, fly selection, get you often to waters you might never find yourself (unless you have tons of free time or are starting off fishing younger(wish I did).

They also carry food and drink for you which is pretty good too.

the guide we had was young but did a great job and taught me a few new things as well got me onto waters I came close to in the past but probably would not have found on my own.

Fishing on a couple of Creeks was slow on the Wednesday but still nice to be out and today we went onto the Blackstone - the fish are coming up for the dries nicely.

Got 1 white, 4 bulls and and whole bunch of Cutts all on dries.

walked for miles (the young guide walked my butt off (but I told him I liked to explore so not his fault) and I have to admit I had a great time and saw lots of beautiful country)

I am sure a guy like Max would have something interesting to say - but I dont understand what he says most of the time except that I think it is good)

Anyway if you want to accelerate your learning curve - hire a guide

Thanks Byron you did agreat job

Bernie

I am sure a guy like Max would have something interesting to say - but I dont understand what he says most of the time except that I think it is good)

lol, I hear ya. Luckily I found a Maxwell to English dictionary on eBay last year and I can ussually translate what he's saying. :wave_smile:

Agreed that a guide is a great way to explore new waters. Sounds like it was a good trip.

Good to hear. How was the blackstone for water level and clarity? Obviously fishable, but wadable?

the water was fine and wadeable - some areas for me were a bit tough but I lived.

clarity - perfect! (almost)

early morning lots of Skeeters - which didnt bother the other 2 cause I am the preferential food of choice, and until all the quality blood is gone they left them alone.

by mid to late afternoon they pretty much ignored me and went after the other 2 dudes (is that the correct useage Max?)