Fly Fusion Forums

Small Pontoon Boat

Hi guys,

I just was out at Champion lakes with my pontoon boat (Water Skeeter BackCast) and it is killing me hauling it up the trail to the lakes and between them. Some people have been driving up the hill with there trucks now, but not too sure about that being the right thing to do.

I met another angler there who had a small pontoon boat that looked much easier to haul into these kinds of lakes. I checked online and WaterSkeeter makes smaller packable boats and so does Outcast/Fishcast. So do they work pretty good in small lakes and ponds? I have fins so that part is covered, but what about oars?? Are the required by law? I did not see any on this fellows boat, so I wonder.

I did do a search, but "Pontoon boat" or "small pontoon boat" just linked to fullsize Pontoon boat discussions.

Thanks

Driving up would not be the best idea unless it's an establish roadway.

I know the pontoons you are talking about and from the advice of the people I've talked to these smaller pontoon boats are fine for this but not the greatest for flowing water. In fact they mentioned them as being unstable and hence dangerous in moving water. So if you are using it for just still water they would probably work just fine. This is what I was told and I have no experience on this. I would recommend a float tube for hike in trips, they are light and compact nicely into a back pack. They are also cheaper!

Law for oars for pontoons? Never heard of it. I do know you need a life jacket and a whistle or some kind of signaling device but not sure about the oars.

Thanks for the reply cdock

I went to Wholesale sports and talked to a couple of the sales guys. What I wanted was a kickboat, kinda looks like a cross between at small pontoon boat and a belly boat. It's weighs in at 12lbs and has shoulder straps for easier carrying.

I picked one up and gave it a go last week, it works well.It was quite easy to haul around. You sit lower in the water then my pontoon boat and it is definitely not as stable but works well in ponds and small lakes.

I may take it into Elbow lake on the long weekend.

Cya

i bought the ca pontoon that turns into a backpack and it's good for taking it into lakes that require a short hike.

it's good quality for the money.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...n&noImage=0

greetzzzz,

zuggbugg

That looks alot like the 1 from Canadian tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

That looks alot like the 1 from Canadian tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_...fromSearch=true

it's exactly the same , the only thing different is the price!!!!!

at CT it's a lot more expensive!!, converted you pay 230 can.$ at cabela's + 18 bucks shipping.

so in total you can save about 100 bucks if one is thinking of buying it.

greetzzzzzzzzz,

zuggbugg