Fly Fusion Forums

S.t Croix Rods

I have used nothing but St Croix rods and blanks for many years and I have always found them to perform well. In terms of quality and price point I would recommend the Avid series if you are looking for a sub $300 rod - similar in quality to the TFO TiCr models with (in my opinion) better components and better tapers.

Mike

Awesome.

My 5wt St Croix has seen six years of hard use on everything from pink and chum salmon on the coast to bull trout and cutties in mountain streams to monster triploid rainbows in the Cariboo and Alberta brown trout streams, and she's never come close to failing.

The only downside to St Croix rods is that they stopped with their unlimited lifetime warranty afew years ago. I'll never understand that move.

Awesome.

My 5wt St Croix has seen six years of hard use on everything from pink and chum salmon on the coast to bull trout and cutties in mountain streams to monster triploid rainbows in the Cariboo and Alberta brown trout streams, and she's never come close to failing.

The only downside to St Croix rods is that they stopped with their unlimited lifetime warranty afew years ago. I'll never understand that move.

Tako..do you seriously use a 5wt for pinks and chum? How much backing do you have on your reel? I am looking at purchasing a rod prior to a trip to Vancouver Island next month but was thinking that I need a 8-9wt rod. If a 5wt is sufficient I may use the 7wt that I already have for stillwater fishing prairie pothole lakes.

I don't mean to butt in here - but a 5wt is adequate for Pinks, here on Van Isle (I use my 5wt Elite for them). A 7wt will be more than adequate, but not overkill. Use a reel sized for the rod and maybe not large arbor as you might need the room for backing! I've caught the odd Coho and Chinook while fishing for Pinkies and a 20lb Spring in shallow water will take you waaaaaay into your backing - ha ha!

Tako..do you seriously use a 5wt for pinks and chum? How much backing do you have on your reel? I am looking at purchasing a rod prior to a trip to Vancouver Island next month but was thinking that I need a 8-9wt rod. If a 5wt is sufficient I may use the 7wt that I already have for stillwater fishing prairie pothole lakes.

little hijack here :

I don't think a 5wt is adequate for pinks unless your in the ocean, and even then probably not... Definately not enough for chum ever. I used to use my 6/7 wt for pinks, and that was OK. I hooked the odd chum or chinook with it, and that was a losing battle every time. Not good for the fish, not good for the gear. Get at least an 8wt, maybe a 9wt and you will be good for all but the biggest salmon.

Where you heading?

J

I've caught tons of pinks. 2 years ago I caught over 100 in the season. I used my 8wt and wouldn't use less. Not that you can't land a pink on a 5wt because cirtainly you can. But there is always the chance of getting a chum and a spring. If you get a chum you may as well be able to land it. I've landed some chum in the 25lb range with my 8wt. But they would have snapped a 5 wt or at the least they would have broken it off. Springs? Well there isn't much of a chance of landing them with an 8 wt let alone a 5 wt. I've seen them landed on an 8wt. But barely.

So your 7wt will do. But I'd cirtainly say to go with a larger rod like an 8 or 9wt.

Not to get back on topic, but I thought I'd give my thoughts on St Croix rods:

I LIKE 'EM, I LIKE 'EM!

I've been fishing a 6wt Legend Ultra since it first came out, and only had to replace it with a Sage VT2 earlier this year after an unfortunate incident on the upper Bow. To tell you the truth, when it comes back from Warranty, I probably use it first and the VT2 as a back up ;)

My two cents anyway....

CS.