Fly Fusion Forums

Little Red Deer

I have never fished the Little Red Deer river before and was thinking about heading up there this weekend. I am wondering if it is pretty easy to access and if it is an okay river for a beginer. Any information would be helpful.

access is fine -range roads access every few miles of it. It's a brown trout stream, so some days it may seem easy, others it might seem like there isn't a fish in the whole river. If your a beginner beginner, I'd recommend a cutty stream, maybe Waiparous (I'm guessing you're from Calgary). Brown trout streams can scar you for awhile ;).

Nick S

I agree with that reccomendation. I fish that area often and it can be up and down. The water is already getting low in that area and the browns can be sluggish on hot days. I find the best success early in the moring (before 9 or 10) during the warm weeks.

I have never fished for Cutties before. From what I hear though they sound like a good time. Waiparous sounds like a good idea, as I am just looking for something a little smaller than the Bow to fish. As well I would like to mix it up since I have only really fished the Bow so far since I started Fly fishing.

Does Waiparous have the same kind of easy access that the Little Red Deer does with the range roads? I do have the Backroads book but find that sometimes it is not really as simple to get to the water as that books seems to make it seem.

correct me if im wrong but in barry mitchels book does he not tell a story about fishing the waipours area.

and how he has given up on it because it doesnt produce many if any fish?

i have fished waipours and i my self wouldnt recomend fishing it.

there are much better smallers rivers and creeks to fish that you can have a ton of fun on!

pm sent

Guest lookinforwalter

What about further up past Cremona? To the actual Red Deer river. Was thinking of heading up there tomorrow. Am also a relativly new beginner ans would like to head somewhere up that way. Yes i am from nw calgary.