Fly Fusion Forums

G. Loomis Gl3 9' 6wt Review?

Looking at buying a used GL3 9' 6wt for dry fly in the bow. I have read mixed reviews on this rod when it come to dry fly. I am also looking at a G Loomis xperience same length and weight. Please Help! Need advice.

I have fished with a GL3 4 wt for over 10 years, and absolutely love it. Ive fished everything from tiny dries to streamers to full sink lines in stillwater. I feel it fishes dries very very well. I havent fished the 6 wt though, so I cant say if it will have too much backbone or not.

Im sure there are better rods out there and I know there are worse rods out there. Bottom line, GL3's are great fly rods at a decent price point in my opinion. Go and Give it a shake, see what you think.

I have fished with a GL3 4 wt for over 10 years, and absolutely love it. Ive fished everything from tiny dries to streamers to full sink lines in stillwater. I feel it fishes dries very very well. I havent fished the 6 wt though, so I cant say if it will have too much backbone or not.

Im sure there are better rods out there and I know there are worse rods out there. Bottom line, GL3's are great fly rods at a decent price point in my opinion. Go and Give it a shake, see what you think.

Thank you. I can buy one for $100.

Hi Deek,

I have this exact rod, and it's my go-to rod. Does it all..... enough backbone for chucking weighted streamers, good for double rigs like hopper-droppers or nymphs, and functions well with a single small dry. The action feels a little unusual at first (very stiff) but you will grow to like it. Only thing I don't like about mine is the tooling on the cork grip.... they got a little over-exuberant and left it too thin in the back half.

As someone mentioned, I'm sure you can buy a better rod, but it's worth the money you pay for it. If you are getting one for $100 grab it! I paid $350.

Neil

I have a GL3 9' 6wt 4 piece that I use as a travel rod. It's chucked big weighted nymphs, streamers, and small dries. For $100.00 it's a steal. It's a bit fast, not as fast as a Sage XP, but definitely faster than a DS. It's a great nymphing and streamer rod though probably not the ideal dry fly rod. That said, you could do a lot worse for $100.00.

I have a GL3 9' 6wt 4 piece that I use as a travel rod. It's chucked big weighted nymphs, streamers, and small dries. For $100.00 it's a steal. It's a bit fast, not as fast as a Sage XP, but definitely faster than a DS. It's a great nymphing and streamer rod though probably not the ideal dry fly rod. That said, you could do a lot worse for $100.00.

Thank you. I bought it. For $100 I can justify using it as back up if i don't like it.

did you find the deal online? or was it a personal sale?

if there are more for 100$ i might just have to pick one up

Private sale. I can email you if I come accross another one. I've been shoping pretty hard for a few weeks.

Guest RedWiggler

I have the GL3 4 wt as well and will have to say that it is a sweet little rod.