Fly Fusion Forums

Weather Pictures

dryfly

Was down at the trailer for 4 days this past week. Fished two days on the Crow and it is fishing well. All wet one day and all dry the next. Sweet. Fish are scrappy and healthy too. (TerryH won't post here that I dropped my rod on one vicious hit! :) )

Some weather came by on Friday night--must have hit Taco's place--or close. :o Wicked light show for one hour. Too bad it wasn't darker and the cloud closer. Was still very cool. Caught a few flashes.

cloud-0835.jpg

lightning-1105.jpg

lightning-1163.jpg

HA HA HA.... I think anyway. Okay it was NOT funny at the time, right? Have to change yer shorts later? Where the heck were you guys?

Man it was non stop lightning for one hour form our safe vantage point. I really wish it had been (safely) closer to us.

Clive, That puppy ended up sliding into Calgary from the south at about 11pm me and greg were stranded in the middle of a feild becuase it came up on us so fast we couldnt make it to the car safely. We layed down flat in a low spot... and got our a$$es kicked by hail, wind, and hard rain, and had a lot of lightning directly above us, but thank goodness no ground strikes within about a mile from our position. It passed within 10 minutes... but man was it scary.. didn't wanna stand up.. :blink::blink:

What you do in a situation like that is take your 9 ft. graphite fly rod and stick it into the ground so it's straight up and then lay beside it. That way it hits your rod and not you and puts the charge into the ground. Kind of like standing under a tree. Let me know how it works if you ever are in that situation again. I don't want to be the first to try it. :D :D :D

Disclaimer::: Results may vary so don't take me seriously :)

Guys, here’s a friendly reminder for the future. Don't lie down on the ground if you can't find shelter in a storm. Crouch low to the ground but avoid touching it. When lightning strikes it will disperse outwards and if you’re lying on the ground it may go through you.

(Although if you’re that close the shockwave is probably going to blow you a mile away anyways. ;) )

Those are some beauty shots Clive!!!!

And Brian....those horseshoes up yer arse must really hurt. That's a close call - I don't think I would have had anything clean to wear home if that was me - I'd be scared shitless.

It's kinda funny - was sitting around a campfire Sunday night (with Pete Zahut, his wife and Mr. Botangles - very fun!!) and were talking about how many times we've been on the Bow and hit a storm coming off of it at the boat launch but never been stuck on the river during one or rained or hailed off during a float. Me thinks that it's only a matter of time before that happens. God help me when it does. After living in Toronto (land o' the tornadoes), storms scare the bejesus out of me.

Awesome how the lightning was caught in the pics. I was in that storm. Fortunately the worst of it missed us. A ton of trees fell, some serious winds, and a close call at the campsite nearest us. A dog was tied to a tree that fell. I'm sure that dog doesn't ever want to be tired to a tree ever again.

Clive, That puppy ended up sliding into Calgary from the south at about 11pm me and greg were stranded in the middle of a feild becuase it came up on us so fast we couldnt make it to the car safely. We layed down flat in a low spot... and got our a$$es kicked by hail, wind, and hard rain, and had a lot of lightning directly above us, but thank goodness no ground strikes within about a mile from our position. It passed within 10 minutes... but man was it scary.. didn't wanna stand up.. :blink::blink:

Did it come up and lick you? did you pee your pants :lol: