Fly Fusion Forums

River Spey Week (scotland) 2009

speyghillie

Hi Guys,

As some of you know i have been working on getting some of you guys over to fish the famous River Spey here in Scotland, with me guiding for the week.

This is just a heads up for next year, i know its a long way away, but just wanted to give everybody a chance to think about it and save up some dollars if they want to come over.

One of the thinks i need to do is book a private beat on the Spey for the week for us all, this needs to be book in advance, like way in advance.

Anyway there is direct flights from Calgary to Glasgow and i will do the rest, looking at dates around the end of June.

Like i said i know its a long way off and i will work out a total price, but think it would be fun, and i will take you on a one day tour to the old Malt Whisky trail in the world.

Get Saving the dollars.

Gordon Spey Ghillie.

The Association water at Grantown is a pretty good bargain too. Especially now that they've got full access to the Upper Castle Grant beat again. As of Friday Jimmy Mitchell's count was up to 145 for the season. My favs are Lurg, Tarric Mor and the Cemetery Pool.

Hi Neil,

Its not that i don't like SAIA at Grantown, its just t it can get too busy at this time of year, and there are better options on the Spey for not much more money, to fish the bottom beats below the old spey bridge you have to buy a weekly ticket, not allowed to fish it on a day ticket, or that was the rule last year, i would like guys to fish different beats, not just be stuck at Grantown on Spey.

Gordon.

I'm just winding you up a little, Speyghillie. Of course the private beats are a far better prospect than the Association water.

Like you say, there's no Rapalla Army for starters. And you get a nice calm pool all to yourself. Plus a sweet hut and an old geezer to net your fish. If you should be so lucky.

Hi Neil,

I know the association water very well as its only 5 mins from my house, and i looked after assocation water on the Spey for thirteen years.

Right now the river is in perfect condition and fishing really well, both Salmon and Sea-trout being caught in good numbers, we had a little rain which has helped out, and its nice and warm which helps with the night fishing.

I was out last night at 11pm and you could have tied a fly on without a torch it was so light, this is the time of year for the Sea-trout, it only gets dark for about an hour.

Gordon.

So how did you do on the sea trout?

By the way, since you did the bailiff's drill for a while you would probably know this. I see in the returns a lot of fish are coming out of Dulnain Mouth on worms. Is that just one guy who sits on the pool? Or is there a lot of coming and going and that's just the way that pool fishes. If I recall it's a kind of featureless piece of water with not a lot of casts until you are in the slack stuff that doesn't swing a fly too well.

Either that or my memory is playing tricks.

Since we are going to a place where the dark arrives later(Quesnel) for this long week-end, and then later in the month the Yukon...our UK trip is off until after Xmas......our time for beach fishing is fast approaching and that I won't miss....

Would love to see Scotland this time of year>>>

C