Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Fishin.

PlayDoh

I have very little actual streamer fishing experience, yet from my Pike trip I think finally realized that the distinction between Nymphing and Streamer fishing, is the action you give the streamer, vs dead drift, or close to it with nymphing. Nymphs are at the mercy of the current, unless their clung to something, while bait that is imitated by streamers can hold their own, and swim against the current to some extent.

I know its pretty obvious, but I've had so much to learn that I'm still letting it all sink in. Now I'm sure retrieving a streamer in still-water does little to help you on the river, but I think I understand that streamers are almost fished more like a lure, then a fly. Fine line between them both, but its the 'action' that separates them, I'm assuming.

Now, if I remember right, its best to cast downstream, usually along the banks in the quieter water. Then use various retrieve speeds and patterns, to find the conditions the fish favor at the moment?

I have an 8 wt rod/reel, that is my dedicated streamer rod. I put a 3-4' leader of 15 lbs mono, either to a streamer directly, or another short leader, or wire leader. I tend to think of it as my 'in-between' rod, between my spin rod and 6 wt fly rod.

I wonder if anyone could give me some tips on streamer fishing? I should have all the basics down, but I know theres tons to learn yet.

What are the benefits of dedicated "streamer fly line"?

If you think you need weight to get down, how is it best to add it?

Above the streamer a foot or less, like I would nymphing is what I've done, but on a windy day I imagine it be a bad idea to add weight to a streamer, anywhere else but near the head.

I'd think minnows and other things imitated by a streamer, manage to stay out of the fast and choppy water. Yet maybe they do get themselves in to trouble, and end up bouncing down-stream, even briefly, like a nymph?

More directly asked, do you get takes on the drift, or almost always during the retrieve, with streamers?

Is it even worth fishing areas that aren't well shielded from the run-off? I would guess its best to toss a streamer, only where you could see a minnow, or small fry, holding in, during run-off.

Thanks in advance.

i think u pretty much got it and jsut halfto get out and give it a go dude.. yes htey do take on both dead drift like nymphs or swung and even stripped just like swinging a spinner or rippin a crank through the water.. fish are usually caught in the slack water but dont let the chop fool you. you can either add a sink tip or split shot too your streamer too get it down.. i like sink tips but splitshots are the cheap alternative... some people add splits on teh nose too give a better jiggin action while others put em above teh streamer on the leader itself a foot or so above.... the benefits having a line dedicated too streamers is u can sink it and not worry about having it float some otehr time on oyu if you plan on using it for nymphs and dries wich makes life easier.. also you can pack another rod too fish the otehr styles of fishing while having a streamer rigged up... hope that covered most of your questions dude... tight lines!

hope that covered most of your questions dude

As usuall, right on the money Max. Thanks again.

I'd suspect the "other rod" your refering to starts with an S, and ends with a PEY? lol just kidding.

I have to get a better tube/backpack setup before I would bring a streamer rod and a lighter rod. All in due time.