Fly Fusion Forums

Canmore Advice Request

I am taking my family up to Canmore the last few days of June for a family vacation. We are from Alabama in the southeast US. I am looking to take my oldest (15) out on the Bow as time permits (family vacation comes first). I am not asking for anyone to tell me their favorite holes but I am looking for suggestions of general areas where we can wade along the banks. For example am I better off going up into the Banff area or are the decent areas in or south of Canmore. I would hire a guide but time is the main reason since we will either sneak off for a few hours in early morning or while the 9 month and 2 1/2 year old are napping. Usually a split second decision. My son and I have a great time just being out and catching anything is a bonus.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I made a couple of suggestions on this board under the "Saturday Suggestions" post. The Bow around Canmore can be a bit tough to fish at times and I have very limited experience, so maybe someone else can give you more information about it. There are also a couple of other lakes nearby called Grotto Mountain Pond and Gap Lake. But if you are short of time Quarry might be your best bet.

Also, the river and it's banks can become very dangerous at that time of year as the run-off from the mountains is in full swing, so be aware! There are a huge number of sweepers and logjams that may look safe to walk on but are not. I have had decent success fishing below the bridge at Canmore.