Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Reel

Bowcane

I'm looking for a reel for a cane spey rod. Right now I'm using the Ross from my 7wt SH rod, it's disc drag, works well, but, really doesn't have the classy looks the rod deserves. Hardy makes a nice 'Classic' reel (cant recall the model name), but its an arm and a leg. Any suggestions for a new reel which looks classic and is affordable. I'm looking for used Marquis' or Princes, but no luck yet. I'm trying to keep it under $300.

if u wanted too spend a litle more i would say the loop "classic" would be a great choice.. btu ebay might give you some cheaper options...... a old pfleufer or something might do the trick but wont have the drag you might be looking for. goodluck dude!

Bowcane;

I have a reel for you that is absolutely a classic and never used..I had it at this years Fly Fishing show in Calgary but few casters appreciate the true wonder of such a reel...Noisy as hell..it is a Farlow ,Holdfast "Grenaby"...spey ,virgin condition in original box...$425

I took it in on a trade in ...

Courtney

• 2 weeks later...

I know this post has a little rust on it. But something just jogged my memory about when I was on the Miramichi a few years back. I was in Doaks when a guy comes in to pick up his reel that Jerry was putting a new line on. And it was a JW Young Pridex. And I remembered my dad used to have one of those and I get this incredible rush of nostalgia. Complete with the green baked enamel on the spool. So my pick to dress up your vintage cane is a Young.

I seen the 'Hal Bacon' ones on the net, but does anyone know how much capacity the largest one has? Its listed as a 5/6/7. The SA 7wt steelhead taper line seems to be its best fit right now, so it needs to take this and about 100yrds of 20lb, not look like it belongs on the starship enterprise, less than a mortgage payment (or tank of gas!) and I'll be happy!

Thanks so far to all who replied.

Hi Bowcane,

Have a look for a dingley reel, look likes a Hardy Perfect, sounds like a Hardy perfect, was made by the guy that designed the Hardy Perfect, and costs nothing like a Hardy Perfect.

Failing that have a look for a PD Malloch's of Perth, beautiful reels that sound great and look great, i just sold a couple a few weeks ago, and they where great working reels from the 1920's.

You will see them on a well know auction site.... but look at .co.uk, not ca or com.

Gordon.

• 1 month later...
You might want to check out the Scierra Reels at:

http:www.scierra.com

The XDP reels are very interesting looking.

What Rod do you have? 99% of the modern reels are not going to be heavy enough to balance a cane spey rod unless you go with a reel from "The Spey Company". You'll need a 14oz reel or heavier to balance most cane rods, if it's 13' or longer more like 16oz. reel otherwise you'll be swinging an awfully tip heavy set up. Check out Tim's reels they are pretty sweet I'm in the process of pulling the trigger on one for a Farlow Sharps Aberdeen Cane spey rod. check out speypages.com forum a few guys are using them on the board and you'll find a few threads discussing the reels.

http://thespeycompany.blogspot.com/

Hi Bowcane,

I am sure i have a Youngs Salmon reel in my garage somewhere, have'nt seen it in a while but i should have one with a spare spool, if you want it let me know , i have'nt used it in years, but remember it was in good condition, if you want it...... and i can find it $200.00 with the spare spool and i will bring it to Calgary with me in a couple of weeks.

Gordon.