Fly Fusion Forums

Getting Ready For The Trip Down South

I think my favorite part of any fishing trip is the anticipation of the trip. I'm leaving Monday for my trip to Houston, and I am so pumped I can hardly think of anything else. I've done my best to avoid buying absolutely everything I can think of. So far, only bought some Saltwater line, some 8/5 flat butt leader and got me some Deceivers. Actually, a friend tied the Deceivers for me based on some old lure colors I used to use. I also pulled a couple of green streamers out of my streamer box because the color reminds me of one of my favorite soft plastic baits.

So in the picture are the streamers I have so far. I'll need to pick up some clousers and shrimp patterns when I get down there. And I have a plan for that red wire thing and the indicators. The method would be unique where I'm going to be fishing........

Should be wetting a line Tuesday morning. I sure hope the wind cooperates. It's windy as hell, like Crowsnest windy, down there right now.

p6060015rb7.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

did that fly line cost you like 6 bucks? What in the world is that?!

what rod/reel are you bringing down there

did that fly line cost you like 6 bucks? What in the world is that?!

what rod/reel are you bringing down there

6 deceivers and two big clousers on the left, 2 big watermelon green streamers I bought for the bow and some0pink thing on the right.

I'm bringing a couple of 8 wts. One tfo and one hand built 9'6" on a0 sage blank a friend gave me to take. The sage will be the primary!

Guest bigbadbrent

It's likely you already know this, but take the rods and reels in the shower with you and don't put them away wet, or you will be a rust bucket, especially since they don't have the saltwater components on them....had a guy come in the other day with a brand new A2 that every guide had rusted, even though he had rinsed it (most likely put it away wet)..

have fun man, we'll go fishing up in the mountains once you're back

Rick,

Make sure you pick-up a couple poppers, gummy minnows and crab imitators. You already know this, watch for the birds and start throwing those poppers is you get into a school of specks. Looking forward to the report!