Fly Fusion Forums

New To Fly Fishing

has anywone been up to elbow lake? went up there last year and caught some nice brookies my first day flyfishing but unfortunatly it was also the last time i went ... could really use some good tips on how to not get my line stuck in the grass behind me : ) would anywone recomend the dvds they sell at wholesale... i fish from shore so i'm somewhat limited in where i can go... i'd like to find a nice trout lake a little closer to home. What about the lakes in town like bonavista and the others?

You could try the ponds by Riverbend in Carburn park. Others like Bonavista, are for residents of that community only. Unless you have a friend that can take you in. Buy Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide. Lots of good bathroom reading material in there.

FHD

Matt,

I`ve been flyfishing a little while and find that the best way for me not to get my backcast caught in the grass is to stand on a ladder... ;)

Seriously though I think the easiest solution is to hold your arm higher while casting or maybe a rollcast, there`s probably a technical way to adjust the overhand cast as well but I don`t know it.

Enjoy the fishing

Matt,

I`ve been flyfishing a little while and find that the best way for me not to get my backcast caught in the grass is to stand on a ladder... ;)

Seriously though I think the easiest solution is to hold your arm higher while casting or maybe a rollcast, there`s probably a technical way to adjust the overhand cast as well but I don`t know it.

Enjoy the fishing

Steeple (or tower) cast

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tsteeple.shtml

P

Easiest way to cure those problems is go fishing with someone who can cast and watch them. It is all in the timing, as soon as you get that then then look out fish!

DVDs are not the best way to learn but either tuition or lessons from a fly fishing mate do the business.

I used to do a lot of grass carp fishing when I first took up the fly rod but they are real buggers to catch! :P