Fly Fusion Forums

New To Bow

Hi all!

Just moved to Calgary and am very excited to fish the world reknown Bow River. Plan on getting out in the next couple of days. Not sure where exactly to fish. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I got a quick view of the river driving over Deerfoot (I'm pretty sure it is Deerfoot) and it looks pretty good. Looks sort of like spring steelheading conditions back in Ontario - high, merky water. Just wondering how has it been fishing lately. In addition, any advise on flies would be helpful.

Gary R

well, personally, i would wait more than a few days if you have never fished the bow before, the rain is supposed to stop, wait for the water levels to go down. it is a lot higher than normal.

as of this morning's commute to work, the level at bonnybrook is within inches of the top of the outflow for the treatment plant (under deerfoot at calf robe bridge, south of pegan exit) usually that area is 10ft lower to give you an idea.

the fish should be right up against the banks in back waters and slower (ha-ha) areas. or the parking lots depending on the area. but kidding aside, just be careful. a few people have been out and have been catching fish.

try a worm pattern or a streamer, purple and yellow mickey finns work for me sometimes (shhhh)

as for location - sorry i dont know what is accessible right now.

Welcome OSF!

I'll echo the Lady here...they Bow is in run off now and, depending on a few variables, might be that way for a few weeks. There is some fishing to be had for sure but it's a different river in July.

As for places...I guess I won't be spilling any beans if I say Fish Creek park (south). That and really anywhere there is access (Google Earth = Friend).

Sorting thru this board is also invaluable.

Cheers.

Hey,

welcome to the Bow - you've shown up to the party a few days early but it should get good soon.

Thanks to the forum guys I got pointed to a bunch of hot spots. for starters though you might want to check out Southland for some easy access water.

flies: worm, leeches, and stoneflies (stumulator, foam patterns, etc). May seem s bit early for them but I slammed a couple fish last night on them!

Let us know how it goes.

stevey

Guest RedWiggler

She's a beauty man, enjoy it. Just not right now.......lol!!! runoff mixed with a week of rain = nasty, big river!!! you can still catch fish during runoff but this rain is making things real ugly.