Fly Fusion Forums

Great Rain!

So far the rain is great in SW Alberta ranging from about 20 to 50 mm -- so far.

Hope it is not 1995 revisited as there is a heavy rainfall warning now in place for the SW--and still some heavy snow pack over 1800 meters. Heavy rain on snow is not a good mix. The difference between now and 1995 is that is is cold this time. Then it was high snow, high temps and high rains.

Warnings

Crowsnest Pass - Pincher Creek - Waterton lakes nat. Park

4:17 AM MDT Friday 23 May 2008

Rainfall warning for Crowsnest Pass - Pincher Creek - Waterton lakes nat. Park continued. Heavy rainfall is occurring in southwestern Alberta.

A upper low pressure system in Wyoming is spreading moisture into southern Alberta. The moisture combined with upslope flow in southwestern Alberta is leading to heavy rainfall. Pincher Creek area has seen 45 millimetres since noon Thursday and is expected to see an additional 30 to 40 illimetres today. Another impulse of moisture is forecast to move into southern Alberta this evening with a possible 50 to 70 millimetres of rain by Saturday evening. Total rainfall amounts by Saturday evening are expected to reach 140 millimetres.

Plus some snow. :lol: :lol: AND THE DAYS START GETTING SHORTER IN 4 WEEKS!! (Just for Ms. Lynn!)

Taken at 6:30 today just north of Lundbreck!

post-229-1211546416.jpg

Just heard on the news, Pincher, Cardston and Waterton could get up to 50mm by the end of the day!...Anyone want to go fish the Crow??.. :lol::( ..

They were talking about possible flooding in the area as well...Hope that wont be the case for any of you locals...Or Anyone for that matter...

Jeff...

Guest tallieho

MILLION DOLLAR RAIN...hope it fills up some of our pothole fisheries [ police,mami etc.] but i hear you too much is not good either.

Down in Waterton right now and man is it ever been raining. One of our hotels is already getting a bit of water in the basement, the lakes are swollen right full and are up on the grass in a couple places, Waterton river is swollen pretty crazy and every other stream I have seen is high and super super muddy..... they say its gonna be a couple more days of this as well. I like it to tell the truth everything has gone from winter dead to lush and green really quick because of it..... however I get the impression its not having much of an effect on the snow pack as everytime the clouds lift up a bit you can see fresh snow up top that wasn't there a week ago.

The best thing about all this precip is that it (hopefully) guarantees they won't close the forests to fisherman again this summer. It was looking bad there last weekend.

By now the cutthroats on the Livingston have had 2 years to forget what a fly is, and 2 yrs to grow. Not that cutts have a long memory :) :)

Some recording stations in the Castle and Waterton drainages have rec'd 150 to 200 mm in past three days...somewhat isolated occurrences. Most places from Leth to the BC and MT borders have rec'd 60 to 100 mm so far--with a lot expected today as LF and beed referred to.

Overall the rain is great, but undoubtedly there will be some "issues" before it is over. Gettin' time to move the sheep to high ground.

Snowing above about 1800 meters. Warm weather next week would not be good. Needs to stay cool for a while to ease the high-elev melt.

1995? I don't think so ... but my gift of prophesy is not swell.

I was in the hills yesterday afternoon. Rivers were very high, all the tribs were very, very high. Below the Oldman dam... didn't even look average high for this time of year. The rain was pounding and it was snowing at the top of the ski hill.

And looking at the Snowpack on the US side, and the high water on the upper rivers... expect flooding this week. All the Alberta Environment guys are on call this weekend 'cause of the risk.

And people still had their RV's parked by the river. By the looks of some, they won't be leaving anytime soon and they might get their toes wet.

Examples

Beauvais Lake past 2 days....6 inches....

|=============|=======================|=========|========|========|

| Station | Data and Time (MST) | Value | 3 Hour | 6 Hour |

BEAU 2008-05-22 03:00:00 3.3 0.0

BEAU 2008-05-24 12:00:00 149.1 16.0 30.7

Spionkop Creek ... 9 (nine ) inches in 2 days... (515-284mm)

| Station | Data and Time (MST) | Value | 3 Hour | 6 Hour |

SPIO 2008-05-22 03:00:00 283.9 0.6

SPIO 2008-05-24 12:00:00 515.1 10.0 21.4

Guest Sundancefisher

This spring was drier than last. The swamps and ditches were borderline dry. Hopefully some of this moisture will soak in and replenish some aquifers, sloughs, ponds and muskeg in Alberta.

Also some lakes are getting lower...

Just hope all those smart people that bought lots on flood plains don't have to worry this year about insurance claims!

Cheers

Sun

P.S. Off to the Queen Charlottes on Tuesday...I always expect rain there!

Guest bigbadbrent
the sheep in okotoks is on the verge of going over the banks

the sheep is now over the banks, and in the campground.

Alberta enviroment is monitoring it very closely, as well as all the fire trucks and such watching to see it go into downtown..hopefully won't happen

Guest bigbadbrent

Yup,

some of highriver has been evacuated, and the sand bags are ready and waiting in okotoks....where i live, we have the best view of it all, and don't have to get wet..

nice pic.lol

fished a couple of lakes ne of calgary this weekend. pike and rainbow seem to be fairing well in the lakes. hell what's a little water to fish. the fishermen on the other hand were all soaked, cold and grumpy within 4 hours... except for the 2 of us who actually caught fish.

the roads on the other hand not so good, there were more ducks in the ponds where the road used to be than there were in the lakes. go figure. some of the farmers fields were almost completely under water.

cant wait for the days to start getting shorter. thanks clive...

"You guys HAVE been getting a lot of rain down there!!!"

280 mm at Spoinkop Creek! Click here.

"cant wait for the days to start getting shorter. thanks clive..."

LS.. yer welcome. We always aim to make people happy. ;)

It's the same every year, eh? We all lust for spring and it is good--well it is "okay." But we ALL secretly know the very best is in July through October--when the days are seriously shorter.

I've never fished so little thru winter and spring in maybe 20 years. Other than Cuba I doubt if I've fished 6 or 8 days days since November. Gonna find some pike piggies this week -- or not.

(However, I have taken 12,000 photographs since November. Always something to occupy my simple brain. Went the the Birds of Prey Center today...)

lincoln-6807-700.jpg