Fly Fusion Forums

Electric Motor Only Lakes

Guest Outcasts

Guest Outcasts

Hey guys Im new to this forum, got interested from a friend and it definitely seems like you all know this area pritty well. Ive been trying to plan a nice little gettaway for me and the lady so i can teach her to fish while quietly cruising a lake. Species doesnt matter just location and access. It would be very helpful if anyone could give me a couple of ideas for a lake within 4 hours of calgary (closer the better) that is electric motor only and decent fishing. Was thinking of driving to peppers but found out from mapquest that even though it was 276km away it is a 5 hour drive almost (maybe someone could clarify that for me?) and now im stumped, and how busy is spray lakes for power boats? Thanks in advance.

Hello

I wouldn't advise taking small boats and electric motors on the big lakes in K Country. If you time it right, you can put one in when it's calm, but that doesn't happen too often. Goat pond is a nice getaway. Fishing is so-so.

Yeah Peppers is a long drive. It's gravel with some winding, hilly stretches. Cow, Strubel or Mitchell Lakes might interest you.

Good luck finding a close, accessible lake where the fishing is good. They don't exist any more. Plan for a hike or picnic as well and you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Well:

I recommend you pick up Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide. It's fairly comprehensive. Driving from Calgary, correct?

I'd second Bloom's choice; Bullshead offers decent fishing, from what I have seen from the reports from members here. (Never been there myself).

To offer alternatives, just a cursory glance through the aformentioned guide, here are some locations - some nearer, perhaps some further from Bullshead -, the following lakes fit your criteria of electric motors only:

Fyten Reservoir, Rainbows to 1lb, south of Three Hills,

Gooseberry Park Pond, Rainbows to 4 lbs, north of Consort,

Huber Reservoir, Rainbows to 2 lbs, east of Stettler,

Michichi Reservoir, Rainbows to 2 lbs, north and east of Drumheller,

Mirror Reservoir, Rainbows to 5lbs, east of Lacombe

Severn Reservoir, Rainbows (no "poundage" listed) SW of Drumheller.

That's just a sample. Didn't feel like copying word for word in terms of directions, but that's generally the idea. Never fished any of them, can't vouch for the fishing, can't vouch for winterkill or last stockings, and my impression the majority of them have paved roads at least 80% - 90% of the way, if my map reading skills are to be believed.

That should give you enough choices, like I said, spend the $12 and pick up the guide. Or, search for Bullshead in this forum and get lots of tips on how to fish that lake, and go!

Blood Indian is good, but I heard its big, therefore wind gets at it, and I think power boats are allowed. But the fishing can be incredible - so I have heard. Tons of tiddlers with the odd big one.

I like Upper Kananaskis lake - have fished there more than a few times, but again, can be very windy, and power boats are allowed.

Just thought I'd point the above out, because for many of us - me included - tend to forget the stillwater rainbow trout fisheries often found east of highway 2 (other than the "famous" Bullshead).

Good luck.

Smitty

Fyten Reservoir, Rainbows to 1lb, south of Three Hills,

Gooseberry Park Pond, Rainbows to 4 lbs, north of Consort,

Huber Reservoir, Rainbows to 2 lbs, east of Stettler,

Michichi Reservoir, Rainbows to 2 lbs, north and east of Drumheller,

Mirror Reservoir, Rainbows to 5lbs, east of Lacombe

Severn Reservoir, Rainbows (no "poundage" listed) SW of Drumheller.

I have family that live out in the consort area, i've tried the pond at gooseberry park a couple times, they stock it but the fishing is tough the majority of the bank is dead bush so casting is tough without a boat. Not to mention its a long drive for not the greatest fishing but hey, the ponds right beside the golf course haha