Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Rods

Just wanted to put a shout out to the people at Springbrook. I broke my rod tip this weekend and went into the shop this am and walked out with a new piece in less than 2mins and only cost me $26.50.

Can't beat that!

yep great in city service .. I use to fish a TFO TiCr but now only use it as a spare (with no original pieces left i might add) dad was out a couple weeks ago and we went fishing..me being the good son i am let him fish my high end stick and I fished the TFO which broke on me again, for no apparent reason..that'll be 6 replaced pieces on a 4 piece rod...only two of which were my "fault", (I stepped on it at a join and bust two sections)..the other 4 all happened while fishing..my high end rods - only broke the tip of the lightest one once, not fishing related ..

so 160.00 in repairs on a 300.00 rod is 460.00 OR the price of a new high end stick I should have bought in the first place me thinks ...

the service is indeed great..but.......

Here's my question about the TFO warranty through Springbrook...

On the Springbrook site it says:

"Enclose a cheque or money order to Springbrook Manufacturing for the $25.00 handling fee (per rod section), plus $1.50 for the 6% GST* (or where applicable the $3.50 for the 14% HST) or you can also give us a Visa or Master Card number if you prefer. The handling fee includes the shipping back to you."

http://www.springbrook.ca/pages/TFOLifeWarr.html

So why are they charging you the full $26.50 when you walk in? Shouldn't they discount the shipping it says is included in the handling fee?

Quick question. I have a pair of their waders...which I might add have been awesome. However, the heels on the foot have developed small holes from walking. Would this be covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Mike

"Enclose a cheque or money order to Springbrook Manufacturing for the $25.00 handling fee (per rod section), plus $1.50 for the 6% GST* (or where applicable the $3.50 for the 14% HST) or you can also give us a Visa or Master Card number if you prefer. The handling fee includes the shipping back to you."

So why are they charging you the full $26.50 when you walk in? Shouldn't they discount the shipping it says is included in the handling fee?

I got thinkin about that on the way back to the Hat, after I was at Springbrook about a month ago to replace a peice....Hmmm...

As well, if it's a "$25.00 handling fee", why is it, as they say, "per rod section"? Shouldn't a second rod section be less or zero? Unless it's really just a replacement section cost and then, just call it that.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

Mark

Any company where you can break your rod, get out of the river to get it replaced and still be on the water the same day with a replacement is priceless in my books.

TFO for life

How about fish all day and not break your rod? ...

It's the warrenty were talking about so ... TFO hands down the best warrenty in the city... anybody know what kind of turnaround there is on mail in warrenty work?

The fee you pay to replace the rod is more of a replacement fee than a shipping and handling fee. Having said that, if you have to ship your rod the cost is included in $26.50. It's the same with any other company out there. If you break a Sage then you have to ship it to Washington state with $40.00 (at least it was 40 last time I broke one). If you happen to live on Bainbridge Island and can take your rod to the factory for a replacement then you still have to pay the $40.00. All the rod companies have some sort of fee and their return/warranty policies are very similar.

anybody know what kind of turnaround there is on mail in warrenty work?

I'd like to know too.

I hear as many bad things about the quality of the rods as good things... Outside of Calgary (I'm not driving in for a rod), how is the wait?

The best warranty service I have seen by far was from Fenwick. It was a $9.95 shipping fee, but they sent it in a new rod and reel tube and I both times I had it back within two weeks of originally sending it. That's their warranty for breakages due to workmanship. They also had a replacement gaurantee similar to tfo's for anything else (accidents, etc.)

The best warranty service I have seen by far was from Fenwick. It was a $9.95 shipping fee, but they sent it in a new rod and reel tube and I both times I had it back within two weeks of originally sending it. That's their warranty for breakages due to workmanship. They also had a replacement gaurantee similar to tfo's for anything else (accidents, etc.)

Yep .. My grandfather has a Fenwick which is older than I am..or at least his original rod was older than me, betcha he's after going through a dozen replacements from all sorts of breakage .. "all broke on big fish" if you ask him though .. :lol: only cost him shipping and never had a issue .. he says he'll fish Fenwick to the bitter end and who could blame him ..

The fee you pay to replace the rod is more of a replacement fee than a shipping and handling fee. Having said that, if you have to ship your rod the cost is included in $26.50. It's the same with any other company out there. If you break a Sage then you have to ship it to Washington state with $40.00 (at least it was 40 last time I broke one). If you happen to live on Bainbridge Island and can take your rod to the factory for a replacement then you still have to pay the $40.00. All the rod companies have some sort of fee and their return/warranty policies are very similar.

Broke one of my Sage rods for the first time last summer .. total jackass move, I was putting it away in the dark both sections ended up in the same side of the sock..when i put it in the tube I guess the guides must have overlapped and snap - clean off in two places..brought it to my fly shop..they took care of sending it in and such..6 week wait and 40.00 when i went to pick it up...but the only Sage i I ever broke ..

I'm wondering how you guys are constantly breaking rods(hitting rod with weights or bead-heads-open up your loop) I use T.F.Os for boat rods with all sorts of skill level anglers using them and have only replaced 2 sections in ten years, and thats with their basic rods(40 bucks at the time) M.K.M.-you can get Springbrook to replace the feet but its pricey and I do not think it would be warranty. Probably not worth it if you have put lots of days on the waders. Money would be better spent on new ones and get a thin pair of neoprene socks to wear over your feet as this will save wear and tear on the feet which are usually the first thing to go on waders due to sand,gravel and compression. Must be just about time to head west!

I wore out my Orvis after using it for 4 years, sent it in and they sent me a new one, sent me the next model up since the other model was discontinued...After having it for less than two weeks It got slammed in the truck door with the help of the wind, breaking the 3rd section from the top...Sent it in, and in less than 3 weeks they had sent another brand new rod, new case and Ferrel wax aswell...WOW...Impressed...Cost me a Little less than 30 dollars both times to send it UPS...Pretty happy with Orvis....

Guest Sundancefisher

I never broke a single fly rod in 30 + years of fishing until just two weeks ago.

Broke a TFO rod in our house move and broke a Sage XI2 on the second cast for bones in Belize.

Dropped the sage off at Fish Tales...waiting to see how that works...

Still need to find time during the day to take the TFO rod in. Only complaint is not having it open for even a couple hours on Sat morn.

Still...I would rather replace a rod under warranty any day of the week versus buying new.

If someone has broken a rod more than twice chances are it has been not looked after well. I suspect you can subtly damage a rod over time and weaken it to the point breaks occur during normal use. I also suspect rods can come with structural defects that take a while to materialize. Chips, dings, etc. can all play a part.

I still think TFO rods are the bomb for the price and you can not beat having a warranty office in Calgary!

Just my thoughts

Sun

Quick question. I have a pair of their waders...which I might add have been awesome. However, the heels on the foot have developed small holes from walking. Would this be covered under warranty?

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds like wear and tear. I've had the same problem with waders. It's an easy fix. Turn then inside out to access the feet but leave the foot portion inside in. This is to retain the proper shape and not create potential pressure points. Coat the inside of the heels with a couple of layers of flexible urethane (shoe goop or aquaseal - seems to be the same stuff). Work it into the fabric covering the neoprene and into the holes. Let cure for 48 hours. With one pair of waders I glued some denim into the heel for additional protection. The patch is stronger than the neoprene.

Sounds like wear and tear. I've had the same problem with waders. It's an easy fix. Turn then inside out to access the feet but leave the foot portion inside in. This is to retain the proper shape and not create potential pressure points. Coat the inside of the heels with a couple of layers of flexible urethane (shoe goop or aquaseal - seems to be the same stuff). Work it into the fabric covering the neoprene and into the holes. Let cure for 48 hours. With one pair of waders I glued some denim into the heel for additional protection. The patch is stronger than the neoprene.

Great Idea...

Guest bigbadbrent

Gotta think that even mailing it in from anywhere in calgary, unless you live near blackfoot (and aren't in a rush) would be cheaper then driving all the way there (gas is starting to add up) considering you're paying the same either way.