Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Repairs

does anybody repair graphite rods? i have an old rod passed down from my father that means a lot to me and my brother in law accidentally broke it. it is a 2 piece rod and the last 6 inches or so is broken into smitherines. is this possible to be fixed at all. any help would be much appreciated.

nick

being it is the last 6" is completely shattered the best you can do is to cut the rod just below the break cleanly (use the edge of a flat file and ring cut it) find a tip top that fits and epoxy it it place. All rod builders can do it but you should be able to get it done on your own.

being it is the last 6" is completely shattered the best you can do is to cut the rod just below the break cleanly (use the edge of a flat file and ring cut it) find a tip top that fits and epoxy it it place. All rod builders can do it but you should be able to get it done on your own.

hey thanks a lot i guess i have some searching to do to find a tip top that matches the design. does this effect the strength at all? it seems like it would become a stress point.

hey thanks a lot i guess i have some searching to do to find a tip top that matches the design. does this effect the strength at all? it seems like it would become a stress point.

Contact Colin (CDone) on this board (Kodiko Custom Rods I think).

He repaired a rod of mine and I was VERY satisfied. I recommend him!

Cheers,

Peter

You might try pulling the tip top off yourself and re-using it. See if heating it up with a lighter loosens the glue and gently pull it off with a pliers, being careful not to crush it or burn yourself. Some are also secured with thread wraps, and if this is so for your rod, use a single edge razor to shave the wraps off before heating the tip.

There's a kind of tip top glue you can get, in stick form, at places that sell rod building supplies. You melt some with a small flame, dab it on your newly smoothed section and slide the tip top over. You may need to reheat it just a little to perfect the alignment with your guides. You will not be able to re-use the tip top if the part of the rod you trimmed off and smoothed down is much bigger than the old tip, obviously, so only cut off what you really need to. If it no longer fits, off to the rod shop with you and be lively!