Fly Fusion Forums

First Time Tier Equiptment Question

wayne

I want to start tying my own flies. Should I buy a kit? What quality vise, tools are in the kits? Or should I purchase a vise, basic tools and the supplies for the flies I want to tie? What is a good entry level vise that I wont be dissapointed in also reasonably priced? What should I look for in a vise? I will probally not tie anything smaller than size 16 I will be starting with SJW then buggers and nymphs once I master these I would like to tie some dries as well

Thanks for any info Also I am in Lethbridge so selection is limited

Wayne

Wayne

A warning that fly tying can get quite addictive. There are a few Canadian Mail order retailers that can get you whatever you need if it isn't available locally. Shop will also special order items they don't stock regularly for their customers if you ask.

I wouldn't recommend starting off with a kit as they don't serve you all that well. You will get a nice variety of materials, but you may not actually need everything in there. I would start off with a crown vise, one that looks like the regal vises but retails for around 65$. It'll last you a long time and is good for flies size 18 - 1/0. You will also need a decent pair of scissors, hackle pliers, bobbin holder and a whip finish tool to get you started. Buy the materelli style whip finish tool, or learn to whip finish by hand.

Look at a few fly patterns to get you started. What do you use most often? Buy materials to tie that pattern in one or 2 colours and go from there. That is around 120.00 investment for tying a few dozen flies.

Thanks make sense the kit has stuff I would never use.I also checked out the Danvise message and see that I could get that vise for the same price would that be a good choice or not ideal for a beginer? I tend to upgrade everything so I would rather start with something good rather than purchase another 1 next year

Thanks Wayne

I'm not a fan of the danvise personally, but it is a decent price for a rotary vise. If you are going to buy it on Ebay, look at the crown vises there as well. Crown vise If I were to upgrade to a better vise, I would go with the Montana Mongoose, Renzetti or something similar. Vises can be a tricky subject because everyone has their own preference.

A friend pointed me in the direction of the HMH vises. I like the looks of them (haven't used one yet), as you can adjust the angle of the jaws. I have used a renzetti one (not sure of the model) but found the angle, and how the jaws were quite low, to be quite difficult. These vices look good and are reasonably priced. May be worth checking out. You can check those vises out at: http://hmhvises.com/spartan.html

• 2 weeks later...

if youa re in left, go over to wholesale and take a look at the catolouge. if they dont have it they can bring something in from another store. i started out with a $60, no name vise and i still use it as my portable. look for something that doesnt look flimsy. i have heard lots of stories about jaws chipping because they are too fine and the hooks too big and not put in the vise properly. also check with the local TU chapter, they may have or know of winter tying leasons in the area. or help on a few simple starter patterns, get those materials and work from there.