Fly Fusion Forums

Extreamly Sore Hip & Wader Size

Parry

Ok so i just had a question in regards to Wader size. My dad moved out of country so i took over his Breathable Waders. My dad is a lot bigger then me so the waders are over sized for sure. Anyone who has seen my fishing on the bow has prob had a chuckle at my expense but thats ok. Anyways Yeterday me and my cousin walked from the Confluence to the Race Track (VERY FAR WALK) and near the end of it i could barely walk as my right hip was in extreame pain. THis has only happened one other time, during a long walk in the same waders. Now im only 24 and its happened to the same hip so should i assume that some how the waders are causing this, because after long hikes and long days working in the field ive never had problems. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe my leg is getting to much movement in the waders and getting resistance causing the pain? i dont know mabye im just spouting off nonsense.

Dustin

Could it have something to do with the boots you wear with those waders? If the waders are too big maybe the stocking feet are too big for your boots causing you to walk differently. Or if you wear different boots than usual with those waders that could be it. In general most wading boots don't have the kind of support a good pair of hiking or work boots would for long walks on uneven surfaces like trails or rocky shorelines. I wear hiking boots with a full shank and really notice the difference when I walk long distances in my wading boots without a shank.

It might also be the fact you are walking on a slope for an extended period.

On long walks upstream, (or down), where you are walking on the same side of the river, you are walking on a slope obviously that will eventually make one of your hips or legs sore. Being that one leg will be taking the brunt of the weight from being the downhill leg, it is inevitible that one side will get more sore than the other.

Ok so i just had a question in regards to Wader size. My dad moved out of country so i took over his Breathable Waders. My dad is a lot bigger then me so the waders are over sized for sure. Anyone who has seen my fishing on the bow has prob had a chuckle at my expense but thats ok. Anyways Yeterday me and my cousin walked from the Confluence to the Race Track (VERY FAR WALK) and near the end of it i could barely walk as my right hip was in extreame pain. THis has only happened one other time, during a long walk in the same waders. Now im only 24 and its happened to the same hip so should i assume that some how the waders are causing this, because after long hikes and long days working in the field ive never had problems. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe my leg is getting to much movement in the waders and getting resistance causing the pain? i dont know mabye im just spouting off nonsense.

Dustin

Depending upon how dedicated to the sport you are, you might consider the added comfort and convenience of a drift boat or pontoon boat. Waders would normally still be needed - or a welcome addition but your options are better and the fishing may as well.

Depending upon how dedicated to the sport you are, you might consider the added comfort and convenience of a drift boat or pontoon boat. Waders would normally still be needed - or a welcome addition but your options are better and the fishing may as well.

Oh no lol that has nothing to do with it. Ive been fishing on days that have resulted in me walking for 5hours straight back to the car haha. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the waders thou. Ill have to try my old ones on my next long hike/fish trip and see if i get any pain.

Thanks for the info thou guys

I think you should seek a doctors opinion. This site is great for advice regarding the sport of Fly Fishing. I'm certain we all want what's best for you and that would/should include seeking a medical opinion. If walking is difficult you could have a serious problem. Don't ignore it. Rick.