Fly Fusion Forums

Nor-vise

rusty

Just wondering how many people here are hardcore Norvise users? I picked one up a few weeks back and to be honest I'm struggling a bit. I've tied on a fixed head Regal for 12 years and am having a tough time adjusting. How often are you using the spinning feature and how often are you using it like a normal rotary? I like the automatic bobbin but overall my flies are taking longer to tie and aren't coming out nearly as nice as they did before.

Any pointers? Is it just a matter of a learning curve? I'm torn between waiting it out and learning to use it and getting a Renzetti instead.

It will take time for sure. Google Tom Cutmore and have a look at his pointers and tips. It is a great site and he is a Norvise Master. I had the pleasure of seeing him tie at Fishtales this winter. Rick.

Guest tallieho

a handy little material clip that i picked up in a kamloops fly shop ,has helped to control ribbings & such.my main reason for it's purchase was the rotary effect & i use it mostly for larger flies,could purchase the other attachment for the small stuff but it just takes practice & watching a master like seamus toner

I have the DVD "Brent's Top Ten Lake Flies" where he uses a Nor vise. He is a commercial fly tyer also and can whip off a fly with extreme speed with this vise. It's a different technique but most lilely a matter of getting used to it and learning how to use it.

To me it seems that these vises would be great for speed (commercial tyers) and for tying larger flys. On the other hand I have never used one so maybe my 2 cents isn't worth 2 cents. :rolleyes:

I'm just getting used to the Norvise, as well. I have found it a very good fixed vise, and I use it fixed a lot for smaller flies and where good tension is needed.

I am trying to use the rotary as often as possible, and I find myself using it more and more often. I'd recommend sticking with it for a while, and see if the benefits out-weigh the losses as you get used to it. After all, it is a solid stationary vise as well.

We should keep in touch about the learning curve with this vise. It may speed things up a bit.

I have used the Nore-Vice for a few years now and although I own a few other vices (renzettti and peak etc) I have found myself using it all the time now. I really like it for dubbing as you can spin dubbing quickly and without a tool often without a loop.

Love it for tying Atlantic's where I like to spin the fly a lot to check out balance and add special weavs. A lot of the guys I know who tie Classics have gone over to them. Funny I just won another Nore in a tying contest.