Fly Fusion Forums

Best Six Weight For Under $450

I want to buy the best hands-down medium-fast or fast action rod. I do not care if it is made in the orient as long as the quality is good and I don't want to spend over $450. So far I am considering...

Redington CPS- 299

Albright A-5- 250

Sage Fli- 320

Sage Smallmouth- 350

Loomis Streamdance Metalius- 375

These are just a few that I have heard good things about, I am open to ideas though.

I'm not a big fan of TFO though, I have cast almost all their rods and they feel clumsy and hinged to me. Maybe its just my casting style.

Let me know what yall think.

Guest bigbadbrent

The Sage Smallmouth isn't a 6 weight, i can tell you that much....

Look for a scott S3 for sale, they'll be around 450, and are a 900 dollar rod 5 months ago, since scott came out with the S4 to replace them

Look for last year rods, and you'll be way better off

Loomis Metolius is a sweet rod and on sale at Cabela's for $289USD! (bought one in the US when on vacation in April) I have also casted both Sage FLi and VT2. They're very nice too...

Orvis clearwater II...Is one heck of a rod...I got one..And just love it....

I run one for 4 years...The old model...Wore it out, and they sent me a new one...Wasent 2 weeks ago I got the new one back....and about 6 days ago I slammed it in the truck door, with the help of the wind...Waiting on a new one once again...The TFO is a great rod aswell...Thats my back up rod that I'm using now...The TFO'S cast wonders in the wind...A bit stiffer than the Orvis...

I don't spend huge Money on flyrods, reels or lines...Tried some of the high end stuff...I feel no need to spend big money..Unless you want to Impress someone...

Or have money to burn...Just my 2 bits...

Cheers...Jeff...

• 5 months later...
G Loomis Eastfork - I find it cast better for me than the FLi. You can test out many of these rods at fishtales.

I didn't get a chance to cast the FLi.. but I casted a G Loomis XPerience next to a Scott A2 and a couple TFO rods. I actually disliked the G Loomis the most. Is the Eastfork quite a bit different than the XPerience?

And in regards to the "rods being discontinued" sale.. i'm curious if most of you would go for the FLi or the Scott A2?

To this day I still love using my TFO 6wt 9foot TRICX

Ditto. (TICR's mine) I put that rod through hell and it finally gave in. Used it for everything from heavy streamers on sink tip to small dries. Next time in the city gotta pick up a new section. Am also wanting a Loop Multi 6 wt...

I only tried an XPerience in the three weight, and it was too soft for my liking, however the eastfork is a fast action rod meant for distance and bigger flies, with a similar action to the Fli, but I found I could get more distance and shoot farther with the eastfork (testing 10' rods though, 9' may be different).

I only tried an XPerience in the three weight, and it was too soft for my liking, however the eastfork is a fast action rod meant for distance and bigger flies, with a similar action to the Fli, but I found I could get more distance and shoot farther with the eastfork (testing 10' rods though, 9' may be different).

Oh that's right too! You and I bought identical A2's on the same day didn't we? It was the 3 weight XPerience I casted as well.

Well.. I'm going to go to Fish Tales in the next little while and cast a few 6wt's and see what feels the best.

Oh that's right too! You and I bought identical A2's on the same day didn't we? It was the 3 weight XPerience I casted as well.

Well.. I'm going to go to Fish Tales in the next little while and cast a few 6wt's and see what feels the best.

The 5wt and up xperience rods are listed as fast instead of medium fast, so it may make a difference, but try em all out sometime (not with that damn wind today, as you'll probably hook on to a passing car!).

where do you guys buy the loops. is there any shops around that sell it or is it an internet order thing?

i bought mine from Loop via ebay, but according to Loop's sight there are only 2 dealers in Canada. one is in quebec http://www.flyshop.torrent.ca/ and my french sucks so I didn't make it past the first page and the other is http://www.whistlerflyfishing.com/ if you contact Whislter fly fishing be prepared to something that may blow your mind and what you aren't used to in alberta.... unreal customer service

you can also purchase from http://www.looptacklestore.com/

I have 2 Scott A2's I really like them, I have a 4 wt and 6 wt but I don't think they are a real bargin compared to some other rods out there. I only bought a scott 6 because i needed a better nymphing rod. i got a wicked deal and I am very happy with my 4.

My other rod is a Loop Adventure series spey, but I haven't cast it yet so my opinion would be uninformed at best.

I am looking at the Hardy demon 2wts and they are reasonably priced for a very nice casting rod but I am not sure if tehy make a 6 wt.

where do you guys buy the loops. is there any shops around that sell it or is it an internet order thing?

I think they order them from Brian Niska at Whistler Fly Fishing.. I believe there's a scrolling link to his site at the top.

Yup, I've bought all my Loop gear (three rods, a reel, and a bunch of lines) from Brian. He's great to deal with and really knows the product line inside and out. Whenever I've ordered from him it usually shows up at the Greyhound depot a couple days later. Give him a call at 1-888-822-3474 and I'm sure he'd be happy to help you out.