Fly Fusion Forums

Missouri Float

lorney

I am going this weekend to float the Missouri in Montana near Craig. Anyone float this section of river this time of year. Going down to float with a friend of my cousin who lives in Butte and fishes the river quite a bit. Any suggestions from anyone who has been down there? I'm sure the guy taking me will know the river pretty good but was just wondering what to expect from anyone who has fished it before. Thanks.

Fished it quite a bit. Bring lots of small dries - midges and hopefully some baetis. Hope for sh!tty weather and lots of cloud.

Nymphing slays down there though...just rig up a small SJW and a #18 lightning bug or copper john 18" below it and use a small indy. The fish sit in calmer water a lot down there and you can often get them shallow.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the trip and I think the weather is supposed to be favorable. Mostly targeting browns from what I understand as the rainbows are up the tribs spawning.

We'll actually be staying in Butte and driving down Sat morning. We will be going back to Butte that night and just walk and wade fishing on Sun. Not sure where. Was hoping for a nice river a little closer to Butte. Any suggestions from people who know the area for a nice river or creek to walk and wade in the Butte area for Sunday or are those rivers closed for spawning.