Fly Fusion Forums

New Guy Bow Fly Virgin

Howdy, so wednesday is the big day, got my waders, boot's, week off, flies, new Tf0 6wt and a wife that is letting me go due to wanting to leave the house by 5:00.. I going to be nymphing the bow for the first time and am thinking of probing around the glenmore bridge and south of that. As it is my first time out, it will be more about learning then catching, but it all sounds like a lot of fun.. Two questions 1. i was going to nymph the side of small riffles with a Sjw and a dark stoneflies nymph, does that sound good? 2. there is a little river inlet about 1000 yards from the brigde is that tresspassing and can i go along and fish in there too? 3. sorry more than 2 but is all of the construction along there screwing up the fishing, should i go some where else, i trying to find a place fairly void of people because of the show i might put on? i am a rank amateur and am ready to learn the bow, do i have a chance of hooking into something there? WJ

Howdy, so wednesday is the big day, got my waders, boot's, week off, flies, new Tf0 6wt and a wife that is letting me go due to wanting to leave the house by 5:00.. I going to be nymphing the bow for the first time and am thinking of probing around the glenmore bridge and south of that. As it is my first time out, it will be more about learning then catching, but it all sounds like a lot of fun.. Two questions 1. i was going to nymph the side of small riffles with a Sjw and a dark stoneflies nymph, does that sound good? 2. there is a little river inlet about 1000 yards from the brigde is that tresspassing and can i go along and fish in there too? 3. sorry more than 2 but is all of the construction along there screwing up the fishing, should i go some where else, i trying to find a place fairly void of people because of the show i might put on? i am a rank amateur and am ready to learn the bow, do i have a chance of hooking into something there? WJ

i pounded that section maybe two weeks ago for a few hours.

i left with one snaping me off and one more miss.

it was pretty slow, viz was probally 3 feet or so.

but if the construction is making it dirty you can fish upstream..

you rig sounds fine. dont just nymph all day if its not working.

try swinging some streamers aswell.

good luck!

Hey Mon (crappy attempt at a Jamaican accent)! :P

You should be okay with the dark stone, but seems from what a few say on the board that the brown ones are the ticket. I've been catching on emergers (prince, black/red chromies, rubber leg copper johns, pheasant tail [red], gold ribbed hares ear) and wire SJW.

IF you access the inlet from the water you should be okay unless there are signs posted (high water line is considered public land). Why not hit Fish Crrek?! If you start at Burnsmead - River right just below the bridge, I know there are fish there - small ones lately, but feisty!! Work the stretch just down from the bridge for about 100 m. Put your SJW right at 9 ft and add 14 (or so) inches of tippet and then your 2nd fly - either from the eye of your SJW or from the hook.

When are you heading down?! I haven't decided if I'll be fishing tomorrow as it depends on the weather...

PM me and let me know, I am no pro, but I might be able to show you a few things...

Cheers,

P

WJ,

I'll be in banff nextr Saturday for the summer and will show you everything I know there if you woulds like.

Capt Rob

So day #1 of my bow life: Was going down to the glenmore, but instead found myself at Hull's wood by 6 in the morning, why does the burnmeads open at 8 crazy, but anyway got all suited up and headed out, lot's of first time issue's, i used the leader that came with my tfo package, will be upgrading and boy did i have some crazy tangles and weird tackle problems and snags and almost falling in a couple of times, but then it happened, will fishing the slack water on eother side of a nice riffle just down from the boat lauch, i hooked and caught a beautiful rainbow, not sure how i did it, but now i'm really hooked, it was very cool. Going to try thursday morning in front of the Zoo, has anyone had any luck there?WJ