Fly Fusion Forums

Bullshead Was Stocked Today...

Was out to Bullshead today Solo...Fishin was Kinda Slow...Got into a couple nice ones...Some of those big male spawners are putting up one hell of a scrap The last 3 days!!...3 stocking trucks showed up today, all at differnt times...So 2 Fellow flycasters from Taber and I gave each truck a hand...seeing that there is only one person per truck...Was lots of fun...Went real smooth...1 truck was from Calgary, and the other two trucks were from Cold Lake...The truck from Calgary had some good size trips in it...Some were about 11 inches!!!...The other two trucks from Cold Lake had smaller ones...About 5-7 inches...If I recall correctly-There is another truck coming from Calgary with one more load of trips...All together, there will be 30000 Trips stocked...The fish were just gorgeous, A really nice green blue color to them...Was nice that there are no pelicans there today, There were some last week...Was great to see not a bunch of birds having a hayday...as they have in the past, when I have lent a hand stocking the fish...One fella just down the bank of the boat lauch caught one the bigger trips about 2 min after they were put in...Will show a pic bellow...I took more videos than pics..Oh well, Got a couple not bad shots...Had to leave the lake early today to catch up on some bizz...And do some yard work...

Cheers....Jeff...

Stocking picks were taken at 10x's optical zoom...So they didn't turn out as well as I thought they might...Wished I would have had Clive's Camera... ;)

061.jpg

060.jpg

054-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

This was the first First guy to catch a Triploid from the lake... :lol::P

020-3.jpg

019-7.jpg

006-6.jpg

005-7.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

you nymphed for freshly stocked fish!?

lol, tie a brown foam fly..you'll outfish everyone :P

you nymphed for freshly stocked fish!?

lol, tie a brown foam fly..you'll outfish everyone :P

Wasent me caught the fish...Was some other guy about a 100 yards down the bank...I didn't even fish after the trucks arrived...

u jusotta sit there fish a gun the next few days too shoot them birds until tehy get climatized and ur laughing... JJ...... sorta

hmm..ya know there are all kinds of deterrent devices in case you don;t wanna sit out there with yer Daisy BB gun Max ..

u jusotta sit there fish a gun the next few days too shoot them birds until tehy get climatized and ur laughing... JJ...... sorta

Has crossed my mind in the past few years :lol::P:ph34r: ...Happening to be there and watch the Birds in the past (of all sorts) have a huge feast...But these fish seemed to climatize very quickly...Compared to the last 3 years I have seen and help stock them...Maybe it is a sign of some super fish???... :D ...Tiz a good thing for these new Triploids, that spring is behind a month or so...Seeing that there are way less birds around the lake, compared to the last few years... :D:) ..

edit*...If you read before...I said a sign of supper fish...I meant to say "super fish" I stand corrected...LOL...

Cool Shots.

Is stocking the trips something new here at BH? I wonder if that will allow these fish to get even bigger than some of the spawners we're seeing out of the waters.

The Trips are totally new to Bullshead this year...From what I have heard- They are suppost to get big...And start doing the huge growth rate by the 3rd year...The Trips are somewhat new to Alberta...Talked to the Guys that stocked the lake allot about the Trips today...(these guys also raise the fish from the egg, you can tell they are very proud...I damn well would be too, Great Guys!...full of info)...I guess time will tell...I'm sure it is going to be a giant step for this fine fishery...I never thought it could get any better...But we shall see... ;):D:) ....Damn, some of those fish stocked today were allready 11 or so inches...Wonder what they will be like next year...Let alone 3-4 years from now!!!???...As long as the freezer burners taker easy on them...

Thanx to Terry Clayton, bloom and many others...We have this fantastic fishery!!!!....Thanx guys!!...Cheers...

Jeff...C&R...It works!!..

Cool Shots.

Is stocking the trips something new here at BH? I wonder if that will allow these fish to get even bigger than some of the spawners we're seeing out of the waters.

Terry Clayton told me that as the supply of triploids gets larger the first places to get the stock are lakes where there are inlet/outlet streams and there are concerns about escapes and have a possibility of hybridization with cutts.........The next priority will be for delayed harvest or special regs fisheries like Bullshead, Fiesta, Police etc........

Nice post Jeff.....Good to hear the birds didn't get 'em all............(I actually thought they did these stockings after dark).....

In BC triploids have been stocked for a while now and my experience, which is purely subjective, is that triploids will grow large, but they don't seem to fight as well as normal diploid fish. That could be due to environmental conditions rather than the physiology of the fish, but I have to say I haven't missed them too much while I've been catching wild Bow freight trains the last two years... ;) Below are some quotes taken from various websites that tell a little more about triploids. As you can see from the last one, its important to play them quickly and leave them alone entirely if the water gets too warm...

How do fish farmers produce triploids?

To make fish triploid the newly fertilised eggs are physically shocked. In practice this means the eggs are placed in a special pressure vessel and subjected to a very high pressure. The timing after fertilisation and the actual pressure are critical to the process. If the farmer times this wrong then mistakes can be made. The balance is a fine one. Too little and it does not cause triploidy whilst too much pressure kills the eggs. It is difficult to judge the success until the fish can be sampled and examined under the microscope, or mature as adults. The triploid eggs go on to hatch and grow normally into adult fish. However it must be remembered that the process is a biological one and as such triploidisation is rarely 100% effective. Some fish of each batch seem to escape the process and mature as normal fish. We expect our suppliers to provide fry that are normally much better than 90% triploid. That is we generally expect that one fish in ten from a batch of triploids will develop eggs in maturity. It is therefore important that the farmer grades the fish to remove any hen fish before these fish are stocked into critical waters. This is a point often overlooked and a batch of triploids may still contain a small number of fertile fish.

The Physiology of Triploid Fish: A Model for Applied Research in Aquaculture.

Tillmann J. Benfey, Department of Biology, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, New Brunswick, E3B 6E1

Triploid fish are sterile as a result of having three sets of chromosomes in their somatic cell nuclei rather than the normal (diploid) two sets. Although there are compelling reasons for using sterile fish in aquaculture, triploidy has not been embraced by the salmonid aquaculture industry because of real and perceived differences in their culture characteristics that can best be summarized as a reduced tolerance to chronic stress. Triploid salmonids also exhibit increased rates of jaw, gill and opercular deformities, as well as the presence of dividing and fragmented red blood cells. These effects of triploidy likely result from fundamental physiological differences between diploids and triploids that arise from increased nuclear and cellular volume in the latter.

Exercise Physiology

Triploids and diploids appear to have equivalent aerobic capacities (Stillwell and Benfey, 1997), but triploids have lower oxygen consumption rates when swimming aerobically in a respirometer (Stillwell and Benfey, 1996) and during recovery from exhaustive exercise (Hyndman et al., 2002a). The question arises as to whether the decrease in red blood cell surface area to volume ratio affects cellular oxygen consumption rates in triploids, but this does not appear to be the case: oxygen consumption rates of triploid blood are not significantly different from diploid rates (1.87 ± 0.51 vs. 1.67 ± 0.28 nmol/ml/min/g Hb, respectively; Currie and Benfey, unpubl.). The overall responses to exhaustive exercise at 9°C are similar in triploids and diploids, although triploids recover more quickly from acidosis, muscle ATP depletion and muscle lactate accumulation (Hyndman et al., 2002a). At 19°C, on the other hand, triploids exhibit high (90%) mortality within 4 hours of exhaustive exercise (compared to no mortality in diploids) and demonstrate reduced anaerobic capacity as reflected by an absence of phosphocreatine depletion and slower muscle ATP recovery and lactate elimination (Hyndman et al., 2002b). These results help explain the previously demonstrated reduced tolerance of triploid rainbow trout (O. mykiss) to elevated temperatures (Ojolick et al., 1995).