Mysis Shrimp

admin

http://www.cpanel55.gzo.com/~flycal/board/...p?showtopic=414

here is a little Mysis I tie.

post-1-1182878168.jpg

Easy pattern to tie.

Hook: 34840 or other dry fly hook 14-20

Thread: White 12/0

Tail: 2 strands crystal flash and white / light pink z-lon / s-lon / antron....

Eyes: Small black barbells

Body: Ostrich herl

Head: white / light pink z-lon / s-lon / antron.... pulled over the ostrich from the tail.

Nice tie.

The Cuttroat were loving the shrimp yesturday at the Lower K lake.

My patterns are different, but I found they definitely liked the patterns with the Flash in the tails.

They also wouldn't touch anything smaller than a #16.

Your pattern would be deadly for Steelies too I would think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey what do you guys find is the best presentation for shrimp patterns? I have had the most luck fishing them dead or with a very slow retrieve but I was curious if a sinking or sink tip and a faster retrieve would be better.

MTB you said they wouldn't hit anything smaller then a 16 and this seems to make sense as from what I understand the shrimp in lower k are all between 1/2" and 3/4".

Do you guys ever tie a mysis with a hot spot? I know it can be fairly effective with some shrimp patterns but I am not sure about mysis....... I guess I might have to pump a couple stomaches next time I hit the lower k

Dead drift under an indicator with a Chironomid paced retrieve. Slow slow slow....

I wouldn't personally tie a mysis with a hotspot, but it is an interesting idea. I tie most scuds with a pregnant / parasite orange hotspot.

I just asked as I googled them and have noticed a lot of images do have a bit of an orangeish area close to the head. I also saw a eye technique that looks really good basically just 2 pieces of mono burnt to form the eye tied in maybe a third of the way back down from the bend of the hook so that the eyes end at the hook bend..... might make a bit of sense like that but I will see if I can find the link again