Fly Fusion Forums

Duncan Knot And Split Shot Questions

tgo

Hey guys, just have a couple questions related to nymphing I've been meaning to ask.

Is it wise to use a Duncan knot instead of a improved clinch knot when tying wetflies or nymphs in order to give them a more natural swimming motion? Is there a better knot to use for these setups?

Also, do you find it matters how far your split shot is from the nymphs? Just thought it might affect the presentation of the nymphs in terms of its appearance to the trout or its drift. Any other suggestions are also welcome, I'm just trying to compare methods and get a better idea of presentation.

Thanks a ton.

Im sure a duncan loop will work just fine if it was your last fly in a multi fly rig, dunno if it would help if it was a middle fly tho.. I place my split shot above my control (weighted) fly as not to interfere with the drift although i have tried smaller shot between my flies all along my leader at times as well (known as shirt button) and it still managed to produce fish ..

I use a Duncan exclusively!! I even think it's a better knot when using swivels!! Easier to tie with gloves on or when cold and faster too! The only time I use a clinch (improved or otherwise) is when my tag end is small. As many have suggested put your bb over your swivel when nymphing! Works like a charm!!

Just my $0.02.

P

palomar knot or the doulbe loop clinch is what i have bin using.. i dotn think the duncan help with fly motion too much if at all mainly because the flies are tumbling and drifting in teh current... i like teh duncan when streamer fishing tho.