Fly Fusion Forums

Whirling Disease

j5ep00

i was out at arbour lake today and we caught two fish that show what i think is whirling disease.

i didnt have my camera but we kept one of the fish and gave it to the manager of the lake.

i can probally snap some pics of it if i stop by tomorrow.

the first fish had a few folds in the back half. it seemed to be more of a skin thing then the whole body.

the second fish was curved just a little bit in the last quater of the fish. we let this one go.

i would like to know if this is something of concern or if there could be something else that caused this?

i will stop by for pics tomorrow. im pretty sure the fish was put in the freezer.

Whriling Disease only affects juvenile trout, mainly Bows and Cutties .. if your fish was better than 6" .. it's not probably not WD, I've caught a few trout that have had the visual symptoms of WD..(bent tail/spine) but after researching found out a fish with WD will die before it matures ..

those fish seem to be well over age for WD, I'd probably guess deformities from bird of prey or predatory fish such as a pike if they are in there .. there are a few resident "pistol grip tail" rainbows just south of the city that I have caught personally and have heard reports or a few others, other than the bent tails they were very healthy looking fish..

no pike or other predators really, there is the odd osprey the grabs a fish.

the fish were stocked last week so it would have to be something to do with the hatchery...

although it could be from a previous stock who knows.

il still snap some pics of it and we can have another round of what do you think happened to this guy.