Fly Fusion Forums

Starting Fly Fishing

Hi guys

I'll be moving to Calgary soon and I have never fly fished although I am really interested.

I will be looking into buying a rod and reel soon.

But as mentioned I know sweet-blue bugger all about fly fishing.

I'll be fishing for trout in and around the calgary area.

What rod and reel would you suggest a biginner buys and what other equipment is esential?

Any other help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi guys

I'll be moving to Calgary soon and I have never fly fished although I am really interested.

I will be looking into buying a rod and reel soon.

But as mentioned I know sweet-blue bugger all about fly fishing.

I'll be fishing for trout in and around the calgary area.

What rod and reel would you suggest a biginner buys and what other equipment is esential?

Any other help will be appreciated.

Thanks

i would suggest just grabbing one of those road reel combos with the line already set on it for a newbie. they are ususally affordable and work decent. if you are planning on fishing calgary and area definatly i would suggest a set of waders. they vary in price, from obsene to afordable. that would get you out there and what i would do is, most outfitters offer a smll flybox with assorted flies for the area. if you do not go that way i would really suggest heading to a fly shop and talking with them on set up, flies, teqnique etc. if you would like a littel more info feel free to pm me.

Welcome

And I would suggest taking Hansons Boot Camp for $200.00 they will teach you the basics plus you get to keep your Rod,reel and line. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/qs/page/6774/6772/-1

Or you could take a class from one of the many other shops.

That Boot Camp sounds like a sweet deal; if I was just starting out I'd be all over that like white on rice!

Then, the next thing I'd do is come on this forum & say, "Man, I've been out 6 times & haven't seen a

fish; wish I had someone to show me the ins & outs of flyfishing the Bow/creeks/lakes..."( whichever you

prefer). There's quite a few decent guys & gals on here who are happy to 'pay forward' the help they've

received in the past. Good luck! Flyfishin' is frickin' awesome!

-Steve-

Welcome BoerSeun,

I agree with the Hanson's thing. For the $200 you get the gear. I still use my son's rod he got from Hanson's from time to time, and he is still using the reel. If you don't want the entry level gear, you can get $200 in in store credit instead.

So basically you get 6 hrs of instruction and fishing on the Bow and a rod and reel for $200. Can't beat it.

After that, I would seriously look into the clinics Max and Toolman give. Take a look at the Sponsors tab and dates and costs are covered. Do those two things and your learning curve will substantially be shortened. You'll be catching rainbows on the Bow by May!

Hi, I took the boot camp last spring and it was good. Still tons to learn that isn't taught in the course but a good starting point. The knot tying was redundant as i had met Troutlover and he took the time to show a lot of the knots before i went to the course. Thanks again Troutlover. I kinda wished i had taken the store credit on the rod and upgraded. As a year later I'm looking to get a better rod .