Fly Fusion Forums

Now If You Really Want To Be Ethical

Guy/Gals,

The Highwood junction thing is a no-brainer.

But if you really are concerned about the Bow - quit fishing it during the summer days when the river is warm.

From the Bow/Highwood Confluence study:

Immediate catch and release mortality is relatively low at this time of year due to very low

water temperatures.

Don

Thank you Don. Been trying to point this out for years. People think the mouth fishing is some sort of political front on which to express their opinions, and hop on the bandwagon as "ethical" or "unethical". The only really ethical angler fishes with no hook point, and only on days that end with "Q".

The only really ethical angler fishes with no hook point

I read a great article about just that ya know, kinda made sense too .. kinda .. I'll try to dig up where I read that.

totally ethical, most of the best fresh water sport fishing targets the migration patterns of fish ..

all the articles ive read about trout and fish in general also say dont use nets... ive never once used a net or needed to...

BTW, its a little difficult for me to find articles online that give good info on when to stop fishing. All of them say as the water temp increases the mortality rate increases as well, but I'd like to have some sort of number where it gets out of hand... is there a water temperature that you guys stop fishing?

Guest bigbadbrent

i still don't believe the 'no-nets' thing..

i can land a fish a lot faster with a friend that has a net, then a friend with just their hands

A quick net search revealed!

Assessing Temperature Tolerance of Bonneville Cutthroat Trout Based on Constant and Cycling Thermal Regimes

Abstract.—We assessed the response of Bonneville cutthroat trout Oncorhynchus clarki utah to constant and cycling thermal regimes in the laboratory. The 7-d upper incipient lethal temperature (LT50) based on a constant thermal regime was 24.2°C[75F], and no fish survived temperatures greater than 25°C[77F]. All cutthroat trout survived a 7-d exposure to a diel cycle of 16–26°C, despite a 6-h daily exposure to temperatures (>24.2°C) that would be lethal under chronic exposure. However, declines in feeding and activity were observed during the 16–26°C cycle, indicating that long-term exposure to such a thermal regime would be detrimental. Mortality occurred when diel temperature cycles were escalated to18–28°C.

Effect of Temperature on Growth and Survival of Bull Trout,

with Application of an Improved Method for Determining

Thermal Tolerance in Fishes

JASON H. SELONG AND THOMAS E. MCMAHON

Abstract.—Elevated temperature is considered an important factor in the decline of the threatened

bull trout Salvelinus confluentus, but the thermal requirements of this species have not been defined.

We used the acclimated chronic exposure (ACE) method to assess the upper thermal limits and

growth optima of bull trout fed daily to satiation over test temperatures ranging from 88C to 288C

during 60-d trials. Survival of age-0 bull trout was at least 98% at 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 188C,

but 0% at 22, 24, 26, and 288C after 60 d. The predicted ultimate upper incipient lethal temperature

for these trout was 20.98C.

TROUT TEMPERATURE REQUIREMENTS (LITERATURE REVIEW)

Stressful and Lethal Temperatures

Based on available literature drawn largely from laboratory studies (Cherry et al. 1977,

Raleigh et al. 1984, Currie et al. 1998, Coutant 1977) the upper incipient lethal

temperature (UILT) for rainbow trout is within the range 25 to 30°C. Eaton et al. (1995)

identified upper temperature criteria for rainbow trout as 24.0°C.

excellent... thanks. Geeze I really hope that once I start bringing a thermo. with me fishing that I can actually force myself to stop fishin.... EEK! I have a feeling my favorite river in late july gets a tad bit warm in mid afternoon, and Ive always thought if I should quit or not. I usually just stopped for a couple hours around 4... anyways thanks for that.