Fly Fusion Forums

Super Greener

ryan222

Good question actually. I thought the same thing the first time the conservation of energy thing was explained to me. But it's not like they are teetering on the edge and any excess expenditure of energy is a death sentence. In a long term sense, they get enough excess calories from their food to allow them to grow, defend their territory, procreate, etc. all of which use significant energy stores. But they don't get a lot of excess from any small bug they eat, so on an individual "eating event", they can't expend much energy. If that makes any sense.

And some will die when you fight them (though not very many), but that is more from the chemicals released from stress.

Edit: should have read Toolman's reply first! Sorry for the repeat.

Thank-you for your reply.. I understand...

still no luck yet. think i had the setup right, maybe it was a little dirty out tonight, maybe loose vcard this weekend

dont worry man you will get it.

most of the snow is gone now, at least in the nw.

river should start clearing up tomorow, and the water temps are gona go up.

there is a good chance you will get into a few fish.

try and find your self a nice deep slow hole.

your fly will be in the water longer and its alot easier to watch your stike indicator, also with the slow water you dont have to mend as much.

rember set to EVERYTHING

Most of what you need to start getting some fish has been mentioned already. When you are fishing make sure you try diferent parts of the river until you locate fish. As an example, I was fishing with my brother last week on the Bow, and got into some really good nymphing in a run. Almost all of the fish were located in about 30 yards of water, below there nothing and nearer the riffle only a few. On any given day the fish may be located in diffent areas, but for now try spots where a broad shallow riffle feeds into a narrower, moderate depth and speed run. This concentrates the food and the fish. Also, sharpen your hooks. They must catch ona thumbnail when you drag them across. This way they will catch in the skin of a fish's mouth briefly before he ejects the hook and give you a little more time to react and set the hook.