Fly Fusion Forums

Fishin' Spots

Tyler25

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the flyfishing world. Me and a friend just picked up a fairly inexpensive starter rig (no waders as of yet). Problem is we have no clue where to go to give it a try. We'd like to maybe check out somewhere West, just to get that nice mountain air while learning, but within a reasonable distance from downtown Calgary. Does anyone have any suggestions/directions for common areas (not expecting any of your super-secret most-favorite spots!).

Any help is much appreciated.

Try out around Seebe dam, above and below, it has some decent access that won't require waders, Below ghost dam has easy access..of course i have no Idea what the flows are like out there , depending on how new you are, and your just looking for a place to cast, fish creek would be your best bet i think, here's lots of room and good opportunity to hook into a gooder...or anywhere in the city for that matter..you don;t need to leave the city for fish.. ;)

Try some small mountain streams if you don't have waders. In about a month, you'll be able to wet wade them without problems. cataract by the campground is a nice place to go if you don't care about the size of fish. Good presentations should be rewarded with fiesty little brookies....

you could also try rawson lake (requires a few hour hike off upper kananaskis lake). rawson has lots of easy-to-catch fish and lots of room to cast. i don't think rawson opens for another few weeks though. you could also try other mountain lakes like chester (also requires a hike) or wedge pond (no hike involved).

you could also check a post a few weeks back on the stocking program in alberta. there's a bunch of lakes that are stocked and the fishing should be good if there are still fish in them. i believe MissTheBow posted the stocking locations.

there are also small streams close to cataract such as etherington creek that has lots of small brookies that are quite easy to catch as well.

hope this helps.

Excellent - thanks for the advice. We just may give Seebe dam a go!

We'll certainly try out within Calgary - I figured we'd save that for during the workweek when travel time is limited.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Tyler,

Nice meeting you today at Hanson's. Good luck and report on how it is going. And read this board. It is chock full of information.

Thanks guys,

Actually I was able to get out to Elbow Lake on Sunday. Didn't catch anything, but I wasn't really expecting to, considering I spend most of my time untangling my line! I did pick up some waders, so at least that will open up a lot more options later on.

Rick, nice meeting you too, and again, I really appreciate all the advice.

Also took a drive out to the Glenmore Bridge, just cause last year I remember seeing guys down there. I'm really looking forward to the river dropping so I can give it a shot!

Tyler

Does anyone know if there is bow river access at the end of 194th ave behind lake chaparall? It looks like the city owns the land and has a wastewater treatment plant there? Any consequences to parking there and walking in? I'm really bummed that access to the spots off 22X are closed right now due to construction.

Guest bigbadbrent

Tbone, they're not closed, just do some walking.

Park at sicome if you want to hit anywhere north of the launch on the west side of the river. Park at the launch if you want to do the launch and upstream and downstream of it.

Park at mckenzie golf course (the range) if you want mckenzie side..lots of options still

Thanks bigbadbrent, I always used to park near mckenzie meadows golf course and I was told by the golf course that they closed the public end of the range closest to the river down because no vehicles were permitted any further than the golf course parking lot and that people are not allowed down there until construction of the bridge is finished. I guess I may be a little misinformed.

Ive never fished the sikome side... will give it a try. Would still appreciate if anyone knows whether or not you can get access from the end of 194th ave? Thanks!

Guest bigbadbrent

i park at the range and just walk in, doubt they want that, but unless they see you, they wont tell you off, you could be just another golfer

Can anyone provide a recommendation near Fish Creek, Policeman's Flats or McKinnons Flats for this coming weekend? My brother-in-law is coming from New Zealand and would like to get him out fishing, but I am new to this scene. I understand that the fishing is pretty decent near shore due to the high level of the river, but where are the best spots to be (ie. slow current near shore, fast or rough current)? What flies are being used? What time of day is best to go (I'm thinking about 6-7 am)? I appreciate any help or feedback from anyone. Thanks.

New Guy

If you get out nice and early like you say, Policeman's Flats would be good IMO.

Just park and stalk the bank all the way up.

The fish will be sipping tight to the bank, so don't get your feet wet and watch for little dimples of fish sipping.

Try Caddis emergers and pupa and if it doesn't get too hot in the next couple of days, try Baetis emergers too.

Be warned it will most likely be fairly busy on the river, so the earlier, the better and don't hog that bank. Fish your way up and don't stay in one spot too long to allow other fishermen to enjoy that great bank. There's about 3 Km's of nice bank, so there is no reason to stay in one place for too long, plus, you'll catch more fish by moving up.

I hope your Friend from NZ gets into one of our Browns so he can give a comparison to their relatives where he's from.