Fly Fusion Forums

New Rod - New Leaders?

marshall

Up to the season I've only been fishing a 6wt. set up and in the process used a range of tippet from 4X to 2X for different situations.

However for this season I've added a nice 4wt. to the options list specifically for some more dry fly action. The questions I have is whether or not, with this new set up, I should also expand my tippet selection to included 5X or lighter or am I safe enough to continue using my 4X?

Any input you guys could provide would be much appreciated!

I think you would be fine with 4x...I have a 5x spool that I have used maybe a handful of times both on my 6 and 4 wt. You may not be able to get the real fussy fish, but if my 4x spooks them I don't bother and move on. If you fish cuttie streams, 4x is all you will need imo. I regularly use 3x on them streams with the same success as 4x. I tend to get too excited when I see a fish rise to my fly and 5x breaks on me every time....

my 0.02

Guest bigbadbrent

My dad fishes a 4 weight and 3 weight almost exclusively..and he fishes 6 and 7x with dries only with good to great success

lighter rods have a little more shock obsorbtion when fighting better fish so using lighter tipper on your 4wt would be the better optionl...... specially when dryfly fishing.. i love my 9ft 4wt.. long slender with some beef in the lower half but takes the blows from teh big fish on light line with ease...... as for fishing heavier tippet with oyur 4wt..... you will be fine either way..... but htere might be a time u need some lighter tippet so packing it cant hurt right?

I havent used a tapered leader in 4 years. Maxima 4, 6, 8, 15, and 20lb test.

Then again I don't dry fly much.

Best piece of info i ever got. Bought a 4, 6 and 8 lb spool last year should get another year out of them. Used the 4 and 6 for dries on the Bow and Bullshead and worked fine for me.

Thanks Dave