Fly Fusion Forums

Barnaby Ridge/south Fork Lakes

Been looking for a website That shows the trails up to Barnaby Ridge...Not having much luck...Found allot of satellite images...But I Would like to see a trail map...As I have heard there a few different trails and they vary in difficulty...Any help would be much appreciated...As I am planning on going this summer...I have been along the Ski hill road many of times...Looking up at the ridge...Just never had the right info on how to get there...or enough time to Get up there...I have wanted to go there for many years now...And this is the year I'm going... :D:)

Cheers...Jeff...C&R...

Guest bigbadbrent

I know a few people that have done it, will ask them for it

otherwise we can just ask Vic...i'm definitly gonna do that trip at least once this year

Talked to Bloom and Harry allready... They have no map...Just a memory...and some awesome pics!...They worked hard to get there from what I have heard...Any one who wants to keep it confidential...Can P.M. me...

Thanx...Jeff...C&R...

This is the only info on the net I could find that may be useful. See page 50. http://www.libertypages.com/chris/books/saguide1-50.pdf

I also searched my map sets and old not find any trails, only roads.

First pic is looking south and second pic looking east. I'd go east from the resort right up over the ridge if I had to choose. Less bush, more rock. I can feel the legs burning just typing this. ;)

south.jpgeast.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent

There is a trail, it's just the finding it that is the problem. Once you're on it, you're fine. It's even marked in some spots

There is also a description in the Ab fishing guide. It says 20 km south of Beaver Mines on 774 there is access to a trailhead. This would indicate the trail comes from the north end of the mountain as opposed to the up and over insanity route. I would assume the trail follows the creek bed up to the north lake.

Great!! Thanx alot..Weedy1...That helps a bunch...Do you run Google earth pro?

As far as I know it's the basic version of Google Earth. It is version 4.2.0198.2451(beta). I had paid a twenty dollar subscription fee some time ago but don' think it applies to the version I am using now.

It is not the pro version - $400 is a little steep.

It depends when you are looking and when the images were shot. The developers seem to spend more time ensuring the popular and populated areas are well defined while the remaining areas get updated later and when more data is available. I have been using it since it was available and have seen drastic changes. I think it has to be one of the best free services available on the net.

All the Bow river secret spots are shown clearly on Google Earth though. These guys on this site think their hiding something. ;)

barnaby.jpg

Route is very close to the red line but approximate. Park where the red line starts. Cross the river. Walk east and north you will hit an old logging or exploration trail. It was fairly wide and well defined (havent been there for quite a few years). Follow the trail, when the trail hits the base of the ridge you want to go up it takes a fairly sharp turn to the north (your left) watch your right hand side very closely looking for a small trail heading up into the timber. It is very close to the curve in the trail I mentioned earlier. After a climb through the trees you will hit the open slope and ridge follow it up you will at the top drop into a small valley through the trees. Close to the creek (I dont think you see it initially) you will turn south and climb gently up to the first lake. Last time I was up the trail is well defined. Hardest part was finding the turnoff the old logging road. From there it is easy...well to follow any way. My first time up we missed the turn...took us (with packs) over 4 hours to get to the lake. Last time up my brother and I made it in 45 minutes. Just packing lunch and fishing gear. Packing enough to camp for a couple of days it usually took a bit more than 2 to 2.5 hours. Haven't been up there since about 1989 or 90. Would like to go again but I think the hike would kill me. :P I won't say the start of the red line is accurate but close. There used to be old pieces of a bridge on the east side of the river where the old road was that would be your starting point on the trail.