Fly Fusion Forums

Barometric Pressure For Trout

bowriva76

Hi there, just wondering if some of you guys could help me out, i know that Barometric pressure effects the fishing conditions. I have done some searching and have found some articles explaining the effects, but a lot is Salt water or Bass, I was wondering if there is anything that is leaning toward Trout in Western Canada or N.America. Anythings helps.

I can't direct you to any articles but here are some calculations.

1 Atmospheric pressure = 101.325KPa = 406.782 inch of water = 33.898 feet of water

Atmospheric pressure fluctuations are typically no more than a few KPa in a day but for illustrative purposes lets say the pressure change is 7 KPa.

7KPa * 406.782 inch of water / 101.325KPa = 28.1 inches of water column.

If a fish were to swim up or down 28.1 inches this would have the same effect on the fish as if the barometric pressure changed 7KPa.

The lowest atmospheric pressure ever recorded at sea level was 87 KPa. Personally I don't think atmospheric pressure fluctuations have any effect on freshwater fish. The change in light and surface conditions of the water would play a larger role.

Guest bigbadbrent

I also agree with Weedy about the effects..the only difference i think, is fish will smarten up and sometimes get a lock jaw right before a storm, which usually starts with a large change in pressure

I also agree with Weedy about the effects..the only difference i think, is fish will smarten up and sometimes get a lock jaw right before a storm, which usually starts with a large change in pressure

Actually, in saltwater it's the opposite. The fishing just before a storm, or a cold front, can be spectacular. It's like they feed hard before the wind starts to blow and muddy up the water. Definitely based on pressure. Haven't fished rivers enough yet to notice a correlation. My bet would be if it affects the bug life, it affects fishing.

Trout have glands known as swim bladders which keep them buoyant in the water, if the atmospheric pressure changes the fish must move up/down in the water to compensate for the change in pressure to maintain equilibrium. Drastic changes in pressure will affect fish for a short period of time, forcing them deeper or shallower until they can regulate their internal pressure..weather or not this affects the fishes feeding pattern or not is debatable.light conditions and temperature have more of a influence on feeding patterns..lower pressure conditions are usually accompanied by low light such as in the night or on cloudy/rainy days. from personal experience fishing on low pressure days seems to be more successful, Is it the low pressure?, the low light?, the temperature? or the fewer anglers on the water? either way, i enjoy fishing in poor weather..

Trout have glands known as swim bladders which keep them buoyant in the water, if the atmospheric pressure changes the fish must move up/down in the water to compensate for the change in pressure to maintain equilibrium. Drastic changes in pressure will affect fish for a short period of time, forcing them deeper or shallower until they can regulate their internal pressure..weather or not this affects the fishes feeding pattern or not is debatable.

Part of the theory you're talking about is that fish will feed heavily when a storm is approaching because once the pressure starts to change they will have to spend time compensating for the pressure change and will not be able to feed during that time.

Guest bigbadbrent

I love the crappy days and i love the 35 degree days that everyone thinks there are no fish eating, so its usually dead..best day of the year for me on the bow last year was when i showed up at the river at 9 am, and it was already 24 degrees, turned into a 32 degree day, and it was unreal

I've studied baro pressure ( on www.wx.ca there's a graph) for 10 + years of bow river fishing. The best conditions for catching numbers of fish come when the pressure *IS* on the rise. However, the best conditions for catching monsters is when it's falling. You'll catch a lot fewer fish normally on a day when you land a absolute hawg, I find. (hawg being 27-28 or better).

Now, do I think fishing is directly related to baro pressure... no. Do I think success rates on the river are... yes. Seems the fish are more active during certain periods. Perhaps the bugs are more active, or the rise in pressure brings with it some stable weather, etc.

Summer observation. On a day when nothing seems to be happening, you can be sure a storm is building... once the big thunderstorm passes and pressure evens out again (it rises drastically when the storm moves through)..... the fishing for the rest of the evening is excellent.

Just some unscientific observations based on my days out and looking at the barometric pressure graph on wx.ca. I'll swear on going out in march on a rising pressure day though, you WILL catch fish if your at all proficient with a fly rod :lol:

Exact opposite on Dragon. My best days there have been before or during a storm.

Exact opposite on Dragon. My best days there have been before or during a storm.

i have never seen so many double headers right before/during lightening storms. Ive been on dragon and felt electricity through the boat while rushing back to shore because the fishing was too good to leave.

i have never seen so many double headers right before/during lightening storms. Ive been on dragon and felt electricity through the boat while rushing back to shore because the fishing was too good to leave.

You catch fish on dragon???????? :huh:

I can't direct you to any articles but here are some calculations.

1 Atmospheric pressure = 101.325KPa = 406.782 inch of water = 33.898 feet of water

Atmospheric pressure fluctuations are typically no more than a few KPa in a day but for illustrative purposes lets say the pressure change is 7 KPa.

7KPa * 406.782 inch of water / 101.325KPa = 28.1 inches of water column.

If a fish were to swim up or down 28.1 inches this would have the same effect on the fish as if the barometric pressure changed 7KPa.

The lowest atmospheric pressure ever recorded at sea level was 87 KPa. Personally I don't think atmospheric pressure fluctuations have any effect on freshwater fish. The change in light and surface conditions of the water would play a larger role.

I've agreed with this position in the past but since so many active fisherman swear by air pressure effects I've re-thought my position. Since the fish are hugging the bottom on the edge of the current in optimal lies, they have to adjust their internal pressure. They can't go down and don't want to go up. In the ocean or lakes the optimal lie is related to temperature, oxygen content, etc. which is often closely tied to depth. Humans relate to adjusting to pressure changes by equalizing the inner/outer ear pressure - a simple act. There is more to it on a microscopic level as there are gas bubbles within the blood and tissue that are affected and while not noticeable at low pressure changes are catastrophic at greater changes (the bends). The fish has to equalize the pressure in the air bladder metabolically against the water pressure. It's very conceivable that they feel discomfort when the air pressure changes.

And the brain is now empty....