Fly Fusion Forums

X10 Switches

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

http://www.x10.com/products4/google/light_...g1.html#upsell1

My front chandelier is hooked up to a security box in the basement. It was coming on every night at 10 pm but I have now somehow stopped that. I would however like to be able to turn it on and off whenever I feel like but for some reason...it will not go on any more...

Any ideas?

I keep asking dumb questions cause there are sure a lot of smart knowledgeable folks on this website...

Which leads me to think fishermen really are smarter than golfers...

Guest Sundancefisher
I see you have gone from plumbing to electrical work in a matter of days. Most plumbers take years before they really figure out what "HOT" means. Be careful.

LOL...

With my hands being wet from the plumbing job...is there some problem transitioning to electrical?

I am not messing with the electrical but rather just trying to figure out how to bypass the X10 switches so we can go back to manually being able to turn the light on and off again. Frustrating having a light but unable to turn it on... Kinda like the house is messing with my psyche.

Sun

Guest Sundancefisher
Is there a switch that contorls it? It it controled from a low voltage relay?

There are a whole mess (3) panels (no controls) off the breaker box and one main floor digital control. There is no mention of removing a light off the control system in the manual. The old owners had no clue how it worked. There has to be a connection to that particular light in the electronic set up somewhere. The company phone number is no longer in service. Product was installed in 1994.

Sun

Seriously man...unless you REALLY know what you're doing, do NOT play with your house's electrical system.

Besides electrocuting yourself (which is fairly easy to avoid), you can easily cause an electrical fire. Depending on the situation, your insurance could be void. If you're throwing switches then knock yourself out - but if you're rewiring anything, hire a professional or take the time to learn what you're doing.

We're renoing my basement right now and some the wiring down there was horrendous. Scary when you think about the possible consequences. The insulation in one of the fixtures was completely burnt right out and the short could have easily started a fire in the middle of the night.

Seriously man...unless you REALLY know what you're doing, do NOT play with your house's electrical system.

Besides electrocuting yourself (which is fairly easy to avoid), you can easily cause an electrical fire.

If you click on Sun's link and scroll to the top it does say "The best thing to happen to lighting since fire was invented". :lol:

Guest Sundancefisher
If you click on Sun's link and scroll to the top it does say "The best thing to happen to lighting since fire was invented". :lol:

LOL

Don't worry. I will replace light fixtures (with the power off) but I will not do wiring. I even paid to have the last wiring done by an electrician inspected and permitted.

I will try and take some photos and post tomorrow if possible.

I would rather learn to be handy than die trying! Some things you just have to respect a good tradesman to do for you.

Cheers

Sun