Fly Fusion Forums

Mystery Photo

TerryH

I've been meaning to post this for a while and never got around to it -- I took this picture on the Crow about a month ago. I know what it is, but will leave it to the forum to pass judgement. Terry

0958.jpg

Bird wing tips.. the marks happen when they land and take off.

Don't think it is a pheasant because there is no tail trail...here are pheasants taking off and landing...across the road at Xmas.

He he he...BBB "'look i'm injured dance'" They don't do that in February--they only do the dance when they have young. :P

land1.jpg

takeoff.jpg

Here is a pheasant taking off....

pheasant2.jpg

Guest bigbadbrent
Bird wing tips.. the marks happen when they land and take off.

Don't think it is a pheasant because there is no tail trail...here are pheasants taking off and landing...across the road at Xmas.

He he he...BBB "'look i'm injured dance'" They don't do that in February--they only do the dance when they have young. :P

I guess i was wrong, i had the right idea of it being a bird though!

Pheasants are terrifying when you're alone in bear country, almost as bad as beavers when its pitch black out

Thanks Pythagoras. I've a few snaps. ;)

My granddaughter and I spent hours (and hours) across the road after C'mas as she is a skater and the pond ice was sweet this year. We explored and saw lots of cool stuff. We saw the pheasant "tracks" so the next day I sent her on a pheasant hunt--this time no skates. One flew up about 5 meters in front of her in the tullies (sp??) ... she screamed!! Was hilarious. Me? I'd have simply died.

Naturally I took some pictures of the cool patterns. Can't have too many pictures.

TERRY!! Be careful out there. We could be fooling you.

Could be one of these ... watch yourself down on the river .. specially near dark..and if you hear drips of blood ... aaarggh!!

alien-salad.jpg

Tako! Wrong. (I guess it is all explained in your avatar. :lol: )

Definitely a take off. Trust me I was there. See below.

There were tracks going from left to right. And you know? Their little feet point ahead. And THEN ... it took off. No more tracks. Surprise. Just call me Tonto. ;)

Here are the same tracks from another angle showing the pointy feet ...

tracks.jpg

You guys are amazing. Three minutes after I posted the photo, the answers were coming in. Most of you had it right, and I guess the prize goes to Tako (despite being a Leafs fan). Although I didn't actually see the event, I'm pretty sure it was a goose taking off, since I had previously seen geese in the area. I've "Clived" up the picture to make things clearer. We've all seen the running motion that geese use when taking off from water. Looking at the foot prints in the photo, I think the same thing applies when taking off from snow. Terry

PS Clive, your vegetable monster photo puts being a vegetarian in a whole new light -- I'm staying carnivore.

R%200958.jpg

Here you go Terry....I have over 2,000 goose images...just had to look. Not quite the same, but the right idea.

I've given flight images to a few teachers as they cover "flight" in grade six. Have some nice series. Fun stuff.

takeoff4748.jpg

takeoff3377.jpg

WhatdidIwin!? :P

Tako, your prize is a complete playoff ticket package for the Leaf's 2008 playoff season. Congratulations. :lol::lol:

Clive -- those goose take off shots are too neat. They seem to confirm the theory re mystery picture #1. Terry