Fly Fusion Forums

Apple Tree Variety In Calgary

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Anyone have any experience with this particular apple tree in Calgary?

http://www.northscaping.com/Tools/Landscap...Search.asp?1016

Honeycrisp Apple

Malus 'Honeycrisp'

Hardiness Zone: 4

Family: Apple

Description:

The perfect combination of accent and fruit tree, ideal for home landscapes, needs well-drained soil and full sun; hardy red apple with crisp, sweet flavor, keeps extremely well; eating apples are high maintenance, and need a second pollinator

Ornamental Attributes:

Honeycrisp Apple features showy lightly-scented white flowers with shell pink overtones along the branches in mid spring, which emerge from distinctive pink flower buds. It has forest green foliage throughout the season. The pointy leaves turn yellow in fall. The fruits are showy red pomes carried in abundance in early fall, which are excellent for fresh eating but which can be messy in the landscape. The rough brown bark is not particularly outstanding.

Landscape Attributes:

Honeycrisp Apple is a deciduous tree with a more or less rounded form. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer or coarser trees or shrubs for an effective composition.

This is a high maintenance tree that will require regular care and upkeep, and is best pruned in late winter once the threat of extreme cold has passed. Gardeners and homeowners should be aware of the following negative characteristic(s);

Disease

Messy

Honeycrisp Apple is recommended for the following landscape applications;

Edible Landscapes

Shade

Accent

Plant Characteristics:

Honeycrisp Apple will grow to be about 20 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 20 feet. It has a low canopy with a typical clearance of 4 feet from the ground, and is suitable for planting under power lines. It grows at a medium rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for approximately 50 years.

This tree requires full sun for optimal growth, and should receive at least 25 inches of precipitation each year. It is not particular as to soil type or pH. It is highly tolerant of urban pollution and will even thrive in inner city environments.

This particular variety is an interspecific hybrid, and is generally not considered to be toxic by most garden authors.

That variety of apple is a zone 4, northern US plains, we're in zone 3, colder yet. Over the yrs we've had almost zero luck with fruit trees developed for the American market, if it were me I'd pick one of the new varieties of apple developed @ the U of Sk for Canadian conditions. I think Paul Hammer @ the Saskatoon Farm sell some.

You might try the Calgary Horticultural Society for info (I think they have a web site).

I read some where that Honeycrisp is rated zone 4 only because it hasn't been tested in zone 3.

Trying to find one might be a problem as they were somewhat scarce.

Regards Mike

Guest Sundancefisher
You might try the Calgary Horticultural Society for info (I think they have a web site).

I read some where that Honeycrisp is rated zone 4 only because it hasn't been tested in zone 3.

Trying to find one might be a problem as they were somewhat scarce.

Regards Mike

That website has mention of people growing them in Edmonton and some people now trying Calgary. They have not been tested in Calgary to a degree necessary to prove tolerance to our chinook weather.

My old apple tree was great...but sob.sob..sob. We have moved and unless I sneak over at night I am hooped!

Sun