Fly Fusion Forums

Automatic Bobbins

Conor

I picked up a Nor-vise recently (I haven't received it yet). I know a lot of people tie on rotary without an automatic bobbin, so I am considering holding off on buying one. Bad idea? A lot of people tie rotary with out one, right?

Have any of you used an automatic bobbin? If so, did you like it? What make/model?

I guess I am having a hard time swallowing the price tag. I need some convincing and/or confirmation.

I have the Ekich as well and Love it. I have about 25 other bobbins that don't get used anymore. You get about 24" if thread once you reset it and you can tie most trout flies without having to reset the spool (Which is easy to do one handed with a bit of practice). Mine has been used for about 8,000 flies or more since I got it and it is still working great. They are made in Canada as well.

http://www.automaticbobbin.com/

Conor.

I have been tying with a norvice for a couple of years now. I really can't imagine not using an automatic bobbin with a norvice. You will appreciate having one for sure. I have three now and probably 18 spools in all. I only use the novice bobbin so can't say much about the other brand although I like the idea of being able to us a normal thread spool with it. I still use my old bobbin for threading the orange head after tying a stimulator but that's about it. The small jaws shown in the picture by Badger are great. I just got them in February and they are much better for tying flies with tails in my opinion. Enjoy your new vice. once you get it check out Tom Cutmore's web site for some very valuable pointers. Rick.

I use two Nore-vice auto bobbins. Don't think you could take full advantage of this vice with out an auto bobbin. I use my standard bobbins for materials like wire, tinsel, silk, and other odd materials. I also use a standard bobbin for tying show Salmon flies where I need slow careful thread control (old time habit). Will order an EKICH one of these days. Looks like a great bobbin.

• 3 weeks later...