Fly Fusion Forums

Calgary Bound

Hey folks,

I joined this board to see if I can make some fishing contacts in Calgary.

I am moving on April 5 to take a job in the city and would like to get involved with

a club or two. Any suggestions? Meeting times?

I have been fly fishing for 20+ years, tying for 20 and average 120 angling outings

every year at home. And I'm still married.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Regards,

Steve Murphy

Charlottetown, PEI

Hey Steve.

I met you at the Dieppe show last year. There are lots of great people on the board here, I'm sure that you will be able to hook up with some angler's for a few trips. There is the Hook and Hackle club in the city that meet once or twice a month. One of the members can likely provide some more detail.

I guess this means there will be one less angler on the rivers when I get down to the island to fish this year. lol

Welcome Steve, Plenty of people around to take you out to show you the ropes .. If you fish 120 days on the Island then your gonna hit 200 this season once you fish the Bow and surrounding streams..lots of easterners in the FFC community to make ya feel right at home .. gimmie a shout when your ready to head out fishing, I'd be glad to help get you show you around..

Actually Steve, the golfing is the thing around here....lol...

I'm an East Coast boy too and if you havn't fished out here before then your in for a real treat. I don't get out near as much as you but I've been here almost 5yrs and still haven't hit all the streams I want to.

Hi Steve:

Finally making the move, eh?

We will go fish the Crow again one day ... this time when it is not snowing.

I still have the fly box you gave me and some of the caddisflies in it.

Welcome back!

Cheers!

Clive

Hey Steve - another easterner here. Saint John New Brunswick is where I'm from, although I have quite a bit of family in Charlottetown and am good friends with the RCMP Chief there. I don't live in Calgary but if you are ever interested driving 2.5 hours and hitting up some huge rainbows at Bullshead don't hesitate to give a shout!

Hey Clive,

Yes, the call of the West is too strong. I will definitely head back to the Crow

with you! That day was Oct. 21/02. Great day, great host. It didnt snow all day.

Crow_Oct_21_2002.jpg

CrowsnowOct212copy.jpg

Steve

Hi Steve:

Finally making the move, eh?

We will go fish the Crow again one day ... this time when it is not snowing.

I still have the fly box you gave me and some of the caddisflies in it.

Welcome back!

Cheers!

Clive

Hey folks,

I joined this board to see if I can make some fishing contacts in Calgary.

I am moving on April 5 to take a job in the city and would like to get involved with

a club or two. Any suggestions? Meeting times?

I have been fly fishing for 20+ years, tying for 20 and average 120 angling outings

every year at home. And I'm still married.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Regards,

Steve Murphy

Charlottetown, PEI

Hi Steve welcome to Calgary, check out the Hook and Hackle at www.hookandhackleclub.org/. We meet twice a month for fly tying and have some fishout during the summer. Real friendly bunch of guys and gals.

welcome steve, be glad to welcome you to the hook and hackle club. if you decide to join up, there is a fish out in june. i wont be around for april but any of the meetings are open to guests at any time. there was an open house in february, but there is some info under the special events section and gives some general info about the club if you are curious.

google hook and hackle club calgary and it should give you the link.

(rainbow - who are you?)