Fly Fusion Forums

Mt. Assiniboine Fishing

I'm doing a backpacking trip in early July to Mt. Assiniboine. Does anyone have any recommendations for best lakes / streams to wet a line in while we are up there? Also, is the ice off the lakes by the first week of July most years?

Thanks

I'm doing a backpacking trip in early July to Mt. Assiniboine. Does anyone have any recommendations for best lakes / streams to wet a line in while we are up there? Also, is the ice off the lakes by the first week of July most years?

Thanks

It's been a few years but I have fished up there a couple of times..........Chopper'd in----too lazy to walk..........There's a good campsite about a mile or so from the lodge on the west side of Magog...........Magog has some big cutties and you can see them cruising in the lake.....Best fishing is down at the Mt. Assiniboine end in the shadow of the "little Matterhorn" and there is an inflow creek..........You can hike all the way around Magog and it's a nice walk.......One of the most memorable fish I have ever caught was a 22" cuttie that my buddy and I spotted when we were hiking back to camp from the creek..........We were on a ledge about 60-70 feet above the lake and saw him cruising..........My buddy stayed up top and I scrambled down to the lakeshore to get a cast.......Couldn't see because of the sun by my friend directed my casting and I caught him on the second cast........Memorable for both of us and we still reminice.......

Sunburst, which is a short hike from camp has rainbows and can be great in the evenings........A float tube is helpful but not a must.....I have never used a tube nor waders.......Cerrulean is the big lake and has big cutties but I have never done well there...........There is also a lake called Wedgewood (I think) which has brookies..........About an hour hike from camp through some good bear country...........

I've always been there in August but I think ice is off for the most part by early July..........Absolutley spectacular country and if you get a thunder storm while you're up there that's a bonus..........Fantastic..........

Al......

Sunburst was the best for us... just casting from the shore endless supply of rainbows... We were actually there when the cuttys were spawning, so they were all moved out of lake magog into the creek mentioned above, so we didnt fish for em but was cool to see.

Other than that, we went twice. Once in July and once in August. I don't consider myself a wuss when it comes to dealing with bugs, but due to the number of horseflies and mosquitos early on in the summer there, I would highly recommend going in later august, for that reason alone. I cant think of any drawback of heading up there later in the summer, and it just made it a LOT more enjoyable being there without the bugs in late august.

Reg,

I have never fished there, but would HIGHLY recommend if your hiking in to go through Sunshine Meadows. Sure it's a little longer of a hike, but much more interesting as far as hikes go!! Going through the Bryant Creek route is EXTREMELY tedious and boring!! Just my opinion...

Have a great trip, it's a SPECTACULAR area (also, not sure on the permit requirements as it's a BC Provincial Park).

Peter

It's been a few years but I have fished up there a couple of times..........Chopper'd in----too lazy to walk..........There's a good campsite about a mile or so from the lodge on the west side of Magog...........Magog has some big cutties and you can see them cruising in the lake.....Best fishing is down at the Mt. Assiniboine end in the shadow of the "little Matterhorn" and there is an inflow creek..........You can hike all the way around Magog and it's a nice walk.......One of the most memorable fish I have ever caught was a 22" cuttie that my buddy and I spotted when we were hiking back to camp from the creek..........We were on a ledge about 60-70 feet above the lake and saw him cruising..........My buddy stayed up top and I scrambled down to the lakeshore to get a cast.......Couldn't see because of the sun by my friend directed my casting and I caught him on the second cast........Memorable for both of us and we still reminice.......

Sunburst, which is a short hike from camp has rainbows and can be great in the evenings........A float tube is helpful but not a must.....I have never used a tube nor waders.......Cerrulean is the big lake and has big cutties but I have never done well there...........There is also a lake called Wedgewood (I think) which has brookies..........About an hour hike from camp through some good bear country...........

I've always been there in August but I think ice is off for the most part by early July..........Absolutley spectacular country and if you get a thunder storm while you're up there that's a bonus..........Fantastic..........

Al......

CDock had a good experience at Magog as well. Also, WSS sells a "Lake Magog Special" streamer..

Thanks for the comments everyone. We are going in from the Sunshine side. I've gone part way from the Bryant creek side and I agree it's pretty boring.

Unfortunately we are stuck with going in early July, but I've done 14 day canoe trips northern Ontario in May, and also in barren lands NWT / Nunavut so we know how to deal with the bugs :blink: . It definately would be better to go in August though I'm sure.

Thanks again for the recommendations. This is why I love this website. So much great info!

Thanks for the comments everyone. We are going in from the Sunshine side. I've gone part way from the Bryant creek side and I agree it's pretty boring.

Unfortunately we are stuck with going in early July, but I've done 14 day canoe trips northern Ontario in May, and also in barren lands NWT / Nunavut so we know how to deal with the bugs :blink: . It definately would be better to go in August though I'm sure.

Thanks again for the recommendations. This is why I love this website. So much great info!

Oh then youll be fine :P they arent that bad..

Fished there a couple of times last summer. On the way in from Sunshine camp at Og Lake and try there. There may be some ice still. Cerulean is good and reasonably shelterd from the SW wind. Enjoy the bugs!

Thanks David, I will try og lake for sure.

Troutlover, I will definately let you know how it goes before your trip in August.