Fly Fusion Forums

Why Brent Doesn't Like Spey Rods

Guest bigbadbrent

Guest bigbadbrent

Brent doesn't like spey rods. Spey rods don't like Brent. Seems just having a spey rod brings Brent bad luck. Last tuesday i broke the top section of my 7136 sage, which i wasn't too worried, as i had an extra tip. So today (an exact week later, wonderful!) i went fishing with it again, and brought my single hander (has a sharkskin on it now, yeeehaaaw)...

I clipped the bottom section of my rod with a fly, when the wind kicked up out of no where when i was midway through a double spey.

Knew i had a problem, but it lasted another hour before it snapped like an inch down from the lowest peice when i snagged bottom.

Sigh

Did you know that the Fly Lines used in "River Runs Through It" were Snowbee lines? a fact! and Two Handers do break,some more than others. I won't use my Hardy Angels for anything other than mid to long bellied lines ;dry fly fishing!

Is your 7136 the Brown Blank?

C

that it is

doesn't help that I'm a hack

I have watched your developement as a caster over the past 2-3 years while at the Fly Fishing shows and believe you can become a good and efficient caster. A greater understanding of what YOU are doing will set you free!!

Is it the Brown Sage?

To become a great caster and efficient fisher there are 3,count them THREE things you must master. Watch your fly!the White Mouse!,the 180 degree rule! reminds me of letting go of the handle bars on a bike!

I hope you come to the Spey week end...will be fun.

C

Guest bigbadbrent

Hey Courtney,

It is the brown sage 7136.

I'll be trying to get to at least the sunday afternoon for the weekend

I'm beyond happy with my single hand casting right now..its the spey that's kicking my ass (and only in the last month, i was casting it better before and during the trip..must be the week of fishing river left, got way to used to it.)

lol thank's Andy, we'll have to get out this july..stop pm'ing each other to call in sick (is it karma that you got sick, after i told u to call in sick?)

Brent,

The color of the blank is to say if either it was a real noddle(Brown) or just a slow Trad. action rod the green... Sage changed 3 of there "brown" rods to "green" that I know off that stiffened the bottom end to have some reserve power. They did this to the 7136 9140 and 9150..many people still complained that they lacked the reserve power for longbellied lines however found my 9140 greenie a peach to cast with a MS.... I know a few ppl that use a 550 Skagit on the 7136 greenie and rock it pretty good.. Its a tad heavy for me but thats just me whatever works.

Brent,

The color of the blank is to say if either it was a real noddle(Brown) or just a slow Trad. action rod the green... Sage changed 3 of there "brown" rods to "green" that I know off that stiffened the bottom end to have some reserve power. They did this to the 7136 9140 and 9150..many people still complained that they lacked the reserve power for longbellied lines however found my 9140 greenie a peach to cast with a MS.... I know a few ppl that use a 550 Skagit on the 7136 greenie and rock it pretty good.. Its a tad heavy for me but thats just me whatever works.

Couldn't have said it better myself Mykiss..thanks...the Browns were prone to snapping especially the so called 9140,normally second section from the top.As was the TnT 1409.However,these slower action rods are nice in a way that if you are a proficient caster then these are nice moderate performing rods especially with the lines of that time. I know many many Spey casters on the Dean and the Bulkley that still use the Sage Brown 9140.