Fly Fusion Forums

Mexico Fly Fishing

I'm looking at doing some fly fishing in Mexico. May not be until November but I want to plan well ahead. I'm thinking of the Yucatan area (Cozumel probably). Anyone out there that has done this before and have some good suggestions? Anyone know of any guides to look at and consider? This also gives me a chance to get a salt water rig and then I can do some coastal fishing as well. Any excuse for more gear!

The city of tulum is north(?) of a wildlife preserve. This preserve contains punta edwards, which I did not see but is popular with fishers. A 30 minute taxi ride will take you into the reserve and at the bridge you can find a trail and walk into the lagoon. Bring bug spray and watch out for crocs. (I am not kidding).

In the lagon you will find huge schools of bonefish (small bonefish though). The occasional cuda eating the bone fish, and of course a few crocs. Its a really cool place, and a canoe or flats boat would make it better if you can find one... I had a great time in that lagoon, but I only found out about the crocs when I was leaving. :blink:

Heres the lagoon.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

I walked up the north most chanel of the cut near the parking lot (you can see the trail if you zoom in).

Oh and tulum is a cool town. There is a beach side area, and a central town. If I went again, I would stay in the town, rent a jeep, and explore more of the wildlife preserve.

There are plenty of lodges, and guides in the Punta Allen area. Pesca Maya does day trips, and will pick you up at your hotel. I've fished with them twice, and had great guides both times. You could also stay here,http://www.shardon.com/index.html, and the owner can get you hooked up with one of the guides out of Punta Allen. I've been told this is a cheaper way to go. As far as real DIY fishing, the area around the Boca Paila bridge is good, but I believe that area is in the Sian Kaan Bioshpere Reserve, and you would want get a fishing license before heading out. I'm not sure where one would get a license in that area.

Here is a pic of the Boca Paila bridge, and a link to Pesca Maya.

post-130-1205789327.jpg

http://www.pescamaya.com/fishing-ascension-bay.html

I will also be in Mexico in november, maybe we can split a boat. Hope this helps.

Duncan

I had a great time in that lagoon, but I only found out about the crocs when I was leaving. :blink:

Looks like a big, shallow lagoon. You would see the crocs from a long way off. Lots of time to get out of the way!

Seriously, I've fished with them in the area before. Never had one do anything but open it's mouth if we got too close. Just keep an eye on them!

Punta Allen, thats what I meant. My bad. Anyways, you could try out there. That bridge is worth a visit for sure. Tonnes of fish around there and nice scenery.

Make sure you stop at the park entry and pay the 8$ or end up getting chased by the "police" on a motorbike.

Or you could chum and fly off one of the rocky beaches near the resorts... lots of jacks that would give you a real run for your money.

Guest bigbadbrent
Jackfish on a flyrod. Now THAT would be fun!

I guess little ones fight like 40-50 pound tarpon, when caught on 8 weights

I couldn't say for sure what a tarpon fights like but the jacks are a fast moving fish when hooked. Unlike any trout or salmon for sure. I got an 8 pounder on a spinning rod and saw the thing heading for the mangroves increadibly fast before he turned and headed for the boat... the trick is getting them while feeding and not spooking them.. They are not shy when there is food around, as in when you are snorkeling with a bag of shrimp, but they tend to stay way off when your fishing... so like I said, chum and fly might work well. You'll be surprised at how hard they fight, and how big they can get.

check this website, nice info and I have definately seen some in the 30+ range in mexico where you're going.

http://www.flyfishingameliaisland.com/Gian...da_Fishing.html

Snipped from a report posted yesterday on fishbc. Not me as I am no where near 70 years young.

----snipity snip----

It's been a long time since I contributed to this forum, but I want to relate the tale of my most recent, and perhaps, most exciting fishing experience ever. And in doing so, help readers to realize that a fishing trip to the tropics doesn't mean you have to re-finance your house.

I'd read about it for years, seen videos and done research and finally, in my 70th year, found out why people rave about fishing for tarpon. My son and I just returned from 12 days in Rio Lagartos at the tip of the Yucatan Peninsula and I'm ready to go back. Our fishing was done primarily in the mangroves and what a challenge! We got off to a great start as my son landed the first tarpon he hooked and I subdued my second one, but it didn't pay to get cocky. At the end of the 2nd day my score was 2 for 18. Yet, I was elated just to have hooked so many baby tarpon.

We were fishing in very daunting locations, pools about as large as your living room, bordered by overhanging trees and filled with snags. At times there wasn't even room for a back cast. Oh, yeah, the occasional croc added to the hazards. One time I had to cast over one of the saurians and then flick my fly off its back on two consecutive retrieves. But the biggest challenge was trying to tame a fish that thought it could fly, considering the time spent in the air and trees. They bounced off the trunks, smashed into the bushes and managed to get under any convenient barnacle- encrusted log available. I knew what I was supposed to do, but the timing was off. About the time I was jerking on the line to set the hook, the crazy fish would jump and have no slack. I'd lost about 2 dozen, before things finally came together. One day I started 4 for 4 and had a total of 9 before we went in. These weren't big fish--the big ones were left hanging from the trees--but I was very happy.

Our trip started at the end of February and it proved to be an excellent time. There was little competition--we saw 3 other fishermen, who only stuck around for a couple of days--and we never suffered from excessive heat. On the contrary, it was so cool at times that there was no need to even use the fan in our room. Probably the major drawback was the wind. We did look for tarpon in open water most mornings, but the wind quickly came up, making it too hard to see fish. We also lost a couple of days when cold fronts moved in. But that gave us time for bird-watching--for instance, 30,000 flamingos frequent this International Biosphere Reserve--or exploring Mayan ruins.

Our guides, Carlos and Ismael, came from Rio Lagartos Expeditions (www.riolagartosexpeditions.com) and they did a great job of finding fish for us. In addition, Ismael is a professional bird guide and excellent naturalist so we had the added bonus of a running commentary about the local flora and fauna. However, guiding for fly fishers is relatively new for them so a person might get more advice elsewhere. We didn't have any problem with that at all despite being complete novices in dealing with these "silver princes."

They don't have all-inclusive packages, but that didn't prove to be a problem either. It's a family run business which includes a cafe, Isla Contoy, and posada. Everything is close enough that it's like staying at a lodge, but the price is much better. Rooms are very basic, but clean, and the food is excellent. Our total expenditure for 12 days board and room was $700! Expect to pay about $250 for boat, guide and a day of fishing which is supposed to run from about 6AM to 1PM, but we never got in before 3PM.

From all I've read, this place can't be be beat for a combination of great fishing (we caught snook and barracuda also) at an extremely reasonable cost. And the people are wonderful. It's just what a penny-pinching old pensioner like me has dreamed about for years, but never thought it would be affordable. Check it out. I'd be happy to furnish more info upon request.

My wife and I went to Cozumel last March. I built a fast 9'6" 8wt to bring down there. I got a guide to take me bone fishing. It was an absolute blast. I would highly recommend Adolfo Sr. or Adolfo Jr. Adolfo Sr. is about 65 and his son is about 30. I went with Sr. and he was not only a great guide but he was funny as well. The first bonefish I caught he looks over to me and says "Bambino" (Baby). Ya it was small only a pound and a half. But to me it was as big as a whale. I was pumped. We caught bones all day long. I ended the day by catching a nice little baracuda on the fly.

Here is the information from the business card that I got from my guides. Most of it is in spanish. But I'm sure everyone will be able to do the loose translation of it. The main thing is that the phone numbers are there.

Asociacion de Prestadores de Servicios

y Guias Profesionales de Pesca

Deportiva en Cozumel, A.C.

Adolfo Vazquez Castillo

GUIA ESPECIALIZADO EN LAGUNAS

BONE FISH VIAJES ROBINSON CRUSOE

65 Av. Bis No. 632 X Hidalgo y privada Hidalgo

Fracc. Cuzamil Cozumel, Q. Roo, Mex. 77624

Tel. 872-5622 evenings

Cel. 044 987 87 64 053

Adolfo Sr. and his son Adolfo Jr. were just fantastic and I sure wouldn't have any problem recommending them to anyone going to Cozumel. They said they also fish for Permit, Tarpon, Snook and other fish depending on the time of year and of course the conditions. They charged me only $250 USD for the day. I tipped them well plus I gave them a bunch of flies that I had tied. They liked that because they can't get tying supplies down there.

They said that the best times for bones is durring July, August and September but the tourists aren't there then. Apparently it's hotter there then, but the wind doesn't blow as much then. I was there in March and caught bones all afternoon long. The wind did come up later in the day. But that's typical anywhere I've fished in the Caribean. You can expect wind in the afternoon. Make sure you have a good fast 8wt rod to punch through the wind.

My next trip is to Cuba for bones in May. But I will be going back to Cozumel for sure.

Rob