Fly Fusion Forums

Poaching @ Bullshead?

When I was at B.H. yest. My Brother and I noticed tracks left behind from a little sled...The tracks led out on the lake and I followed them for a ways...till I chickened out. I am thinking the sled was loaded with most likely ice fishing gear. I did not see any holes, but the sled tracks led way out on the lake. The tracks were only a few days old at most. I have seen alot of holes out at B.H. in the past as I start checking the ice conditions this time of year. Here are some of the pics below.

Not sure what to make of this.

008.jpg

007.jpg

011-3.jpg

Here is another pic...Looks like there has been a fair bit of activity out there! :angry:

019.jpg

Me and my Bro's footprints are on the right.

Come on BH, take a ski pole and tap the ice, it it has a nice ping your good, any thing else go back, and put some long nails in your pocket incase you do fall in you can use them to stab the ice when you pull yourself out.

You walked out there an left your tracks didn't you :rolleyes: Maybe the holes drilled were from water quality sampling to determine the probability of winterkill? Whole lot of speculation from some boot tracks and sled marks

Come on BH, take a ski pole and tap the ice, it it has a nice ping your good, any thing else go back, and put some long nails in your pocket incase you do fall in you can use them to stab the ice when you pull yourself out.

FYI... I know the depths of that lake...and where I was walking was maybe three feet deep and following footprints that had been left a couple days prior.. Iam not as so stupid to walk out on the deep areas this time of year... and gave the ice a very good look over prior to walking on it. As the ice apears to be a good foot thick. And not rotted at all. Bin a cold winter in the hills.

You walked out there an left your tracks didn't you :rolleyes: Maybe the holes drilled were from water quality sampling to determine the probability of winterkill? Whole lot of speculation from some boot tracks and sled marks

As i said in The fist post above...There have been many holes puched out there in the past... last year they had traces of powerbait amoung other baits and garbage left behind.

Guest tallieho

thanks for the report & let's hope that those tracks were from persons,taking oxygen tests.It would really be a shame if it was ice anglers,that don't no how to read the reg's.

I might do a little more poking around out there in the next couple days. It's nice country out there and know alot of the back roads in the area...Something to do for I am off for the spring. And the weathers not looking to good in the pass for the next few days. Or I would be out there!

Beedhead, it's sure great to know that you are taking an active role in checking on one of our special resources. Poaching has been a problem on this lake and whether these particular tracks are poachers or not, I think these posts are important to raise awareness. If left unchecked, poaching will continue to be a problem. Thanks for posting.

Guest Sundancefisher

Beedhead

Best to keep up the attention and prevent problems now and in the future. If people know it is being monitored it is the best way to prevent poaching.

Great to hear you are watching!

Cheers

Sun

Thanx for the support guys!!!! The point I am trying to get across is....Poaching goes on all over the place ...being Fish, Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear ect. I told the CO's about what I had seen in the past about the holes in the ice and Powerbait being left behind as a reminder....I might have come on a little strong on this post...BUT... It goes on... and I have seen alot of it in the past... (Bullshead for one) and so have alot of people on this board! I have two girls that love the outdoors...and the oldest one flyfishes (9 years of age)...and loves it!!! I want things to be same for my kids as well as your kids... when they are our age!... So ya...lets all keep an eye out for some of the things that go on that may deprive the next generation... Iam not trying to go overboard in this post...But Ive seen it in the past... and just trying to make all aware of some of the CRAP that goes on in our next to perfect world.

Good Fishin to you all Jeff....C&R.

Last winter I had talked to Terry Clayton about going to Bullshead to use my underwater camera without any fishing gear, he did say it was okay but to let the local F&W know what I was doing. However I never did make it out there. These pictures look like someone is doing something they should not be doing.