Fly Fusion Forums

Waiparous Creek (sp?)

So a friend of mine generously spends his summer vacations living out in the middle of nowhere near the headwaters of waiporous creek, and he wants me to head up there soon for a week. Whats fishing the creek like? was it abused extremely badly by quadders and 4X4's? or is that just the lower reaches? I'm stoked to have brookie dinners for an entire week and relieve some stress. Some pattern suggestions would be nice, or some color suggestions, whatever brookies like. Thanks. It'll be in july sometime.

I haven't been up there the last couple of years due to the 4x4s but when I was up there the Brookies took everything I could throw at them. Clousers and hare's ear were the best. I had small Brookies smaller than the clouser try to hit it. It was so fun watching these little guys. Don't pass up the really shallow riffles with undercut banks. I got a ton in water about 8 inches deep under the banks. Have fun!

I was up there last Sun-Tues. Water was very high and very dirty after all the rain. I was gonna bring my gear but decided with the weather not too. They have banned quads and 4x4 from a lot of areas so it is not as bad as it was. Lots of small fish when fishable to keep you amused.

Oh and one more question - I need to know what I'll need for this trip in terms of surviving. I hear this site is very primitive and I've never been camping without toilets or running water somewhere closeby. I need tons of suggestions for this, I don't want to be out of something when I'm out there.