Fly Fusion Forums

Backcountry

I am planning on going on a backcountry trip this summer around mid july. I have my sister coming out from ontario and I wanted to show her a great time. I was thinking of heading into k country we were looking for about 4 to 5 days out there. As of right now i am thinking of starting towards elbow lake and hopefully finishing around evan thomas. the one concern I have is camping. Are you allowed to bivouac out here or what are the rules. does anyone know what this trail is like. my sister was looking for a lot of foresty stuff not as much alpine. if anyone has any suggestions for this or another trip to do over 4 days that would be terrific. I was thinking of about 10 km per day or thereabouts depending on difficulty of course. We were also looking for a fairly moderate to difficut trek. any help would be greatly apprciated.

Since the area was made a provincial park camping is supposed to be in designated sites only. One of the prettiest hikes I've done is from the Upper Lake to Three Isle and Aster Lakes. This is a loop and there's some breathtaking views towards BC from the ridge trail between the lakes. You can add Turbine Canyon but that's quite a bit longer. There are numerous potential multi day loop hikes in the Ribbon Creek/Galatea area and there are campsites at most of the lakes.

the northover ridge trip from aster to three aisle was actually my first idea. however from a few reviws i have read, they have all said it was a two to three day trip max. we are looking for about 8 hours of hiking a day for the full four days and my sister was not too keen on that trip because it was such a great deal of alpine. she is really looking for the scenic foresty and waterfall kind of trip.

the northover ridge trip from aster to three aisle was actually my first idea. however from a few reviws i have read, they have all said it was a two to three day trip max. we are looking for about 8 hours of hiking a day for the full four days and my sister was not too keen on that trip because it was such a great deal of alpine. she is really looking for the scenic foresty and waterfall kind of trip.

She'd rather be in the bush than the alpine?? Has she ever been in the alpine!?

Nick,

Northover Ridge is a great trip! Can be done in three days (I did it in two and was supposed to stay at Three Isle the third night, but decided to walk the 10 km out instead). If you camp in BC just over the Aster Col, you don't have to pay. The Turbine Canyon (North Kananaskis Pass) trip is SPECTACULAR as well and you can go over the French/Haig Glaciers and come out across from Chester and that would definitely stretch that one out to 4 days (would need glacier travel exp.)!

Why don't you head up to Jasper and try to get on the Skyline - a Rockies Classic or down to Waterton to avoid the crowds!

If you want more info, PM me I have some awesome photos of all the trips I mentioned!

Peter

I few trips come to mind 1 is from the end of highway 66 Little elbow to blue rock wich is a 4 day trip through some beautiful country. As well the fording river pass west from etherington is another incredible trip. Your best bet is go to Mountain Equipment Coop they have excellent maps and suggestions for trips. Also ask people on here about the fortress lake hike It looks awesome.

I few trips come to mind 1 is from the end of highway 66 Little elbow to blue rock wich is a 4 day trip through some beautiful country. As well the fording river pass west from etherington is another incredible trip. Your best bet is go to Mountain Equipment Coop they have excellent maps and suggestions for trips. Also ask people on here about the fortress lake hike It looks awesome.

thanks for the help. I have been inquiring a little about the fortress trip, however from what I have been hearing the bridge over the athabasca got blown out a year or two ago and has not been rebuilt since. if anyone has any insight on that matter i ould be delighted to hear about it. as for the two trips you mentioned i am definatly going to give those some thought.

Guest bigbadbrent

I know H2O, Rusty and another guy went into fortess in august 2006, and the bridge was still there

Call the park ranger station, they'll tell you everything about that hike, distance, toughness, if the bridge is still there...Call them for all the info, they're the most up to date, and will steer you straight

would any of you guys know if it is realistic to do the northover ridge and then head up the south kananaskis pass and continue down back to the interlakes lot via the north kananskis pass?

Yeah I think it's possible. I'll check the Daffrin's book...

P

sorry forgot to mention to be able to realistically do it within 4 or 5 days

Yeah, check out Map 15 page 268, (Trail 100 pg 222) looks like you go from 3 Isle , up Beatty Creek , down LeRoy Creek to North Kananaskis Pass to Turbine (10.5 Km so doable in a day for sure)!

Hell, I might even join you!! :P

P

There are some nice day hikes down by the Little Elbow campground (just before, I can't remember the names) into a large cave and lots of loops in the area. One other I really liked was the ribbon creek trail, at the end there is a short climb using some chains upto a small lake. There is lots of info once you get into the park as well.