Fly Fusion Forums

Pike On The Fly

Anybody out doing this? Are they still in the bays or is this opportunity gone already? Any suggestions on where to go? I've got Newell and Crawling Valley as a destination, how are these fishing? I know lots of questions. I'm trying to get my first pike on the fly this year but time is against me it seems. I hope I haven't missed out yet.

Pike are lots of fun. Long saltwater streamers or bull trout streamers will work. Clousers as well. I'm not sure what the fish are like this time of year. Before you get your first pike, watch this video. Keep an eye out for the second pike to make an appearance.

Guest rusty

Lots of great pike fishing around still...but you may have to go down a bit to get them.

Badger and Newell have been fishing very well. The late spring has kept the temps down.

Not spying :ph34r: and certainly not British.

The only species I fish for in winter is pike, so I know how they look. When he was putting the fish back the shape looked not like pike at all.

Also caught a lot of grayling in Scandinavia, so their shape is also familiar.

It was a nice sized grayling, which would have never been caught by the pike if it was free swimming.

That is why I normally try to put my fish back in shallow water :D

Anybody out doing this? Are they still in the bays or is this opportunity gone already? Any suggestions on where to go? I've got Newell and Crawling Valley as a destination, how are these fishing? I know lots of questions. I'm trying to get my first pike on the fly this year but time is against me it seems. I hope I haven't missed out yet.

I was out on Talbot Lake near Jasper last weekend fishing for pike. It's a pretty high lake so probably a little behind what's going on down here. Smaller fish were in the weedbeds at the east end of the Lake. Larger fish were in the flats next to shore at the west end of the lake. We caught fish hand over fist. We were either sight fishing them or when we couldn't see them, just blind casting and would get one or two follows on most casts.

We used everything from black conehead bugger type things to more formal pike flies with weed guards etc... The most popular colour seemed to be a light bright green pike fly with a deer hair head and painted red and white eyes. They also liked big streamers with black and white and some other colour (blue/green) with some flash in it. We used about 4 ft of 20 lb Maxima with 6-8 inches of the 5 lb TygerWire (which worked really really well - I usually use the more beefy Tygerwire or the Cortland Toothy Critter leader material, but the thinner Tygerwire got more action and of the 30ish fish I hooked I think I maybe lost one to the thinner leader material).

Gave him quite the nasty gash!!

Which is why I never put my hands anywhere near those darn things mouths!!

I had a few at Wolf chomp their way right up my forceps just as I removed a clouser/streamer - also had one take a lure that was hanging over the side of our boat - cost me a spincast rod and reel (and my father-in-law got whapped in the back of the head as the rod dragged over the side LOL)

look closely and you see it's the second pike coming to attack the one he's releasing. It's a scary thought

Look even closer and there's this guy in the video, listen closely and you'll hear them speaking swedish! Thankyou pacres, you are the newly crowned king of the obvious! :rolleyes:

I'm leaving tommorow to fish these toothed torpedos up in North Saskabush! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not spying :ph34r: and certainly not British.

The only species I fish for in winter is pike, so I know how they look. When he was putting the fish back the shape looked not like pike at all.

Also caught a lot of grayling in Scandinavia, so their shape is also familiar.

It was a nice sized grayling, which would have never been caught by the pike if it was free swimming.

That is why I normally try to put my fish back in shallow water :D

Dang it! I was hoping James Bond was on here somewhere. Good eyes. I think most people assumed it was a smaller pike.